Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Mini Tempo Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about purchasing a '93-'94 Probe GT. I don't know how to drive a standard yet. I plan on putting performance parts and upgrading it alot, so which is better. Are standards all that much better, or will an automatic be just as good?

·
Just some guy...
553 Posts
If your ultimate goal is to get power from it then you should go with an MTX. Learn how to drive a stick first. And depending on which clutch you use to replace the old one will also be a learning experience. Most standars are better performance wise. The ATX's are somewhat slower unless you change the torque convertor and some other things, so I've heard.

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
This reminds me of my frist Probe. Back in 1990 I bought a PGL with a 5-speed. I didn't know how to drive a stick. I left out of the parking lot of the Ford dealership in the middle of rush hour. After four days I felt like I'd driven a stick all my life. On the 2en gen Probe your much better off with a 5 speed. Good luck in your search.

·
SCPOC/Probe GT Member
238 Posts
Yep trial by fire seems to be the preferred way. I learned by commuting to work through rush hour--took a week and like Stacy said, I felt like I'd been driving stick for a long time.

For us control freaks, there's no way but manual.

·
Mr. ATX Pimp - Mod.
194 Posts
well (as usual) Im gonna be the one to stand up here and say that driving an ATX is not the hell that most people think. I love my ATX a lot, especially in traffic. I've raced MTXs, won some, lost some (without the ZE). If your big into drag racing, and plan on making some serious power, an ATX might be advantageous: easier launches, and consistent shifts. If you do get an ATX, prepare for a lot of bashing from MTXers (although not here as much as other sites, thank God), but you become an elite member of the A-Team. Looking at the facts however, the MTX is about a second faster in the 1/4, and I know that driving one can be fun, its really up to you.

ps- ATXs can be just as fast as a 5 spd GT with a simple ugrade from level ten (www.levelten.com). A high performance Torque Converter will match you up to a 5 spd

M

·
0 Posts
there is a mod for the atxs.

the IAT mod is very effective!
if you do get the auto do this!

/

<A HREF="http://rogue.bucks.edu/~0257335/IAT">IATMOD</A>

·
Mr. ATX Pimp - Mod.
194 Posts
Gil Starr said:
Can you squeal your wheels from 1st through 3rd in an ATX? :D I didn't mean to bash ATX's. I've had them and they are great especially in traffic.
the 1-2 I can, not the 2-3...yet. Mike can though

·
PT Owner - SCPOC Prez
681 Posts
hmm. atx vs mtx?

well, for the 2g probe, i would never buy an atx, regardless of the circumstances. just not fun to deal with.

my girl has a 1g atx and hers isn't too bad. i like the manual shift button that's on the car. pretty cool shifting with it and she is pretty good at it. it was a PITA getting it repaired when it gave up the ghost though.

my 93pgt has been rock-solid in terms of the motor and tranny since i bought it. never a problem, save the usual maintenance. replaced the stock clutch with an ACT and even though the pedal is much stiffer, i like it a lot.

now, i've owned both an auto and manual '66 mustang. bang for buck, it's easiest to deal with the manual. they're lighter, easier to tear down and replace. if i wanted no-nonsense shifting, i would use the c4 it came with. all i had to do with mine was install a new torque converter and a cooler (along with some valve body tricking), and i was smoking rubber easily, even when manually shifting it. i couldn't get all the torque transfer though. don't know why. i've actually lifted the front end off the ground with my manual pony though. same engine as the auto too. go figure.

oh, unlike some, i actually HAVE been driving a stick all of my life. first thing i learned how to drive back when i was 12. :cool: that and a motorcycle. :D

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
dmark101 said:

oh, unlike some, i actually HAVE been driving a stick all of my life. first thing i learned how to drive back when i was 12. :cool: that and a motorcycle. :D
Well I did/try learn how to drive a stick when I was 16. The car was a 83 RX-7, made it bark in all gears. :D

·
Mr. ATX Pimp - Mod.
194 Posts
I learned how to drive a manual too, and originally was looking for an MTX GT. I saw my car, however, and just fell in love.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I had to learn how to drive a MTX, since my parents have NEVER owned ATX's. I will NEVER own a ATX for as long as I live. As for which is better, most people who own Probes will say MTX, and you also get a better tranny with MTX than with ATX. Those trannys seem to fail at a much higher rate, and a lot sooner than on the MTX's. But yes, learn how to drive a manual first before buying one, unless you have money to spend on clutches. Im still on my original stock clutch, which has 114,000 miles on it. Granted, Ive only had the car since 90k. My previous car had 235,000 miles on it, and only on its 3rd clutch. The idiots who stole it, burned the 2nd clutch.

M

·
0 Posts
i bet thats what youll say up untill you turn 40, and buy an atx

Nylie said:
I had to learn how to drive a MTX, since my parents have NEVER owned ATX's. I will NEVER own a ATX for as long as I live. .

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Naw...My parents are well past their 40s, and they refuse to even think of buying ATX's. My father groans when he has to rent a car, because its not a manual. Hehehe....

M

·
0 Posts
well you have proved me wrong! i will go back to my corner now and stair at the wall.. he hejj

·
Mr. ATX Pimp - Mod.
194 Posts
If you take care of your ATX, it will last. Sean Whang sprayed for 176,000 before his ATX broke. Its really up to you, lets please avoid the ATX bashing folks

·
SOPOC President
105 Posts
I love my ATX. I find nothing wrong with it. Sure, I'm a bit slower in the 1/4, but I find that to be more of a challenge in my quest for speed. If I ever get my L10 stuff (just a matter of time and money as usual) I'll have one helluva robust drivetrain. Also, I'll be just as fast or faster than the 5 sp guys. Also, I won't have to worry about missing shifts or shift points. Look at all the high-power drag cars. Almost all of them are autos.

Just my 2 cents. If I get another Probe, that one will be manual. I'm going to drive this one tho until the wheels fall off. Hell, its paid for!:D

·
Mr. ATX Pimp - Mod.
194 Posts
Pat_SOPOC said:
I love my ATX. I find nothing wrong with it. Sure, I'm a bit slower in the 1/4, but I find that to be more of a challenge in my quest for speed. If I ever get my L10 stuff (just a matter of time and money as usual) I'll have one helluva robust drivetrain. Also, I'll be just as fast or faster than the 5 sp guys. Also, I won't have to worry about missing shifts or shift points. Look at all the high-power drag cars. Almost all of them are autos.

Just my 2 cents. If I get another Probe, that one will be manual. I'm going to drive this one tho until the wheels fall off. Hell, its paid for!:D

word.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts