Ford Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

I have an '86 F350/460 engine/4spd....we can't seem to keep a starter on it for long. have replaced the flywheel/clutch, etc. also, have tried shim/s in the starter. Starter will work good for a couple weeks and then it will grind or sound like it is hitting something. all the people we know that 'should' know, are stumped.....even the Ford dealership tells us that the starters that they can get for this truck are made by the same Manuf. co. that Advance and AutoZone get theirs from.

can ANYONE HELP me? I really like my truck, but am scared to try to pull my horse trailer far....lol!

thanks

chris

· wasnt me
281 Posts
just dont shut it off :naanaa:

i've never shimmed a 460 and i replace many as i work on a fleet of them, i'd say find a guy who rebuilds starters and alternators and give it to him, i never get reman stuff for my personal vehicles i bring to the local guy thats been rebuilding them for a million years.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
390wagon said:
just dont shut it off :naanaa:

i've never shimmed a 460 and i replace many as i work on a fleet of them, i'd say find a guy who rebuilds starters and alternators and give it to him, i never get reman stuff for my personal vehicles i bring to the local guy thats been rebuilding them for a million years.

yeah, now you sound like my ole man! lmao!

something he told me the other day re this issue.....when you engage the starter...it is about 1/4 -1/8th " from hitting the flywheel, if not shimmed..its closer, but still 'not long enough'. I have tried NAPA starters and yes even the dreaded Advance starters, they all do the same thing. Someone at a Ford dealership told me over the weekend (tranny in my '03 focus went out) that we needed a 'high torque' starter...which, we have complained all along the starters we were getting weren't 'heavy duty' enough.

thanks

chris
hoping you'll send me GAS MONEY so I CAN leave it running :bash:

· Registered
72 Posts
I have had the same trouble......went through 4 starters......turned out to be what you guy's said ...starter needed to be shimmed properly.
The pinion was engageing the face of the flywheel and loading up, when in mesh.Fitted a High Torque Starter ,with the right Pinion to Flywheel clearance, no more probs.
Cheers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.