Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Australian Ford Member
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the mighty EA S for a few months and about 5 to 10% of the time the starter turns but doesn't engage, but does on the next try. It's not getting any better or any worse. Is it likely to be something I can fix in the motor with a bit of fiddling or lube (it's not worth buying replacement parts - a changeover would be better value), or is it more likely teeth on the cog or ring gear, or something else? I assume it's going to die sooner or later, but I thought it would have got worse by now if it was a serious fault.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
EA S,

When you say it doesn't engage is there a humming noise or a grading noise???

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
AusXH said:
Sounds to me like you have something wrong with the solinoid. I could be wrong.
If it is the starter solanoid, you can bash it with a hammer and it will work ok for a few times. Did that on out old EB.

·
Shh i'm huntin more power
1,764 Posts
AusXH said:
Sounds to me like you have something wrong with the solinoid. I could be wrong.
Yep I agee sounds like the solonoid isn't pushing the gear out. You're best bet is to get a change over starter motor.

·
Australian Ford Member
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
EF_Falcon_GuY said:
EA S,

When you say it doesn't engage is there a humming noise or a grading noise???
Just humming - no contact being made by anything turning.

·
Chromed Member
1,810 Posts
Your all wrong!!

I'll bet you a ice cold beer that the starter motor drive (somtimes called bendix) is stuffed. This part is replaceable from any auto elec (use only genuine bosch one though) and best to get them to fit it while your there. If its gunna cost you anything near $120 bucks then dont bother fixing it, just buy a new bosch one - part number BXF - 129, should be around the $120mark.

or contact me if you wanna buy a reco one off me:D

Did you know that the starter off an AUII will fit any 6cyl falcon !!even XK !! They all have the same mounting points on the bellhousing and bolt holes all line up. If you car is pre-electronic ignition (roughly pre XD)a separate wire with diode will need to be installed to give the coil its 12 VOLT BOOST on crank.:D

·
Powered by HAD
1,328 Posts
But if i'm not mistaken it does start every now and again. If the bendix was stuffed then wouldn't it not start at all??? (not betting agaisnt you botch, i couldn't afford the beer ATM :), just discussing the possibilities.)

·
Chromed Member
1,810 Posts
yeah I know where your coming from, but heat does stupid things to the clutches in the drive, sort of like a clutch in a car thats stuffed (a.k.a laminge):D My bet that is that it only slips when the motor is cold. and is ok when hot.

P.s Botch drinks fosters:nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts:

F

·
0 Posts
Yeah just get a new starter motor, My EF was doing the same thing 7 months ago, got it fixed, cost me $95, and it was working, but 7 months later I had the RACV bashing it with a hammer to get it started again.

Then I found out that a new AU starter would fit (which it should on yours also) so I fitted one. It cost around $130 for the Bosch Starter + labour. If only I had known this from the start.

Now she starts like a rocket!!!

·
Australian Ford Member
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all, especially Jase for PM and Botch for his auto elec experience.

I'll see if it is limited to cold starts, although I can think of at least one occasion when it had reached operating temp and misbehaved after about 10 - 15 minute rest, but maybe that qualifies as cold for what Botch has in mind.

Given the price of a reco fitted is about the same as parts, I'll go reco when the time comes.

Botch, is it likely just to fail and leave me in the lurch, or will it get worse first? If it's going to die suddenly I'll swap it soon, which is what I was going to do originally anyway, but it's not a serious problem so far as it's not getting worse.

·
Shh i'm huntin more power
1,764 Posts
EA S said:
Thanks all, especially Jase for PM and Botch for his auto elec experience.

I'll see if it is limited to cold starts, although I can think of at least one occasion when it had reached operating temp and misbehaved after about 10 - 15 minute rest, but maybe that qualifies as cold for what Botch has in mind.

Given the price of a reco fitted is about the same as parts, I'll go reco when the time comes.

Botch, is it likely just to fail and leave me in the lurch, or will it get worse first? If it's going to die suddenly I'll swap it soon, which is what I was going to do originally anyway, but it's not a serious problem so far as it's not getting worse.
EA,

It's hard to say without seeing it, i've seen starter motors like that go for ages and i've also seen them fail pretty quick. It's piece of mind knowing you wont stuck anywhere, but on the other hand it could go for ages yet...

·
Australian Ford Member
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Jase. Pretty much what I expected. Reco starter motor coming up.

·
Chromed Member
1,810 Posts
ea s

from my happenings I would say that the starter will gradually get worse, eventually not starting at all. Maybe 6months max????
The good news is it is only destroying itself(the starter) and not your car or ringgear:D

:D

·
Australian Ford Member
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Botch, thanks. Reinforces the need for a reco starter fairly pronto. Anybody want to open a book on whether I actually get around to it before it dies, having just taken the kids to the Show and funded my dentist's next overseas trip?

·
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL
1,031 Posts
ive noticed the EF/EL crank over alot more before srtarting. Where as AU/II start nearly staright away/..

Is this the starter?

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
jaytyn said:
ive noticed the EF/EL crank over alot more before srtarting. Where as AU/II start nearly staright away/..

Is this the starter?
Yeah i think it's to do with type of starter motor. I replaced mine with i'm guess an AU starter motor and now my car cranks quicker than the old one.

I remember the original starter motor on our EB1, geeez that took a while to crank and the noise it made. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts