Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble taking out the starter motor in my 1924 Model T. I have removed the 4 screws and it still wont budge. What can I do next to try to get it out? Could it be the bendix drive gear stuck on the flywheel? Thanks for any help or suggestions.

·
Always the student
1,739 Posts
Block of wood and a hammer, tap the starter. I would tap right where it bolts up, then work your way back on the starter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

I did try using a hammer to loosen the starter but it wont budge. I am nervous to hit it any harder but I suppose I have no choice. I just don't want to crack or break anything in the process. Any other advice or should I just muscle up and go for it?

·
Super Moderator
19,416 Posts
Can understand your worry on breaking / cracking something . Cant get any heat round about aperture or try soaking overnight with a penetrating oil ?

·
Super Moderator
3,601 Posts
A '24 model should have provision for a crank handle as well as a satrter motor so after disconnecting the battery try rocking the crank handle slightly and gently back and forth this should free the starter and it may even fall completely out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts