Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
100% Speeding (when safe)
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problems started last summer, where sometime, maybe 1/10 times you would turn the key, and there would be no click or anything. But after you turn it maybe a couple of times it would work.
Then in winter it starts perfectly. Never does it not start.
But now back into better weather, its doing it again.
I tried running a wire from the starter to the battery, with a join, to see if it was the starter, and found that when it wouldnt start with the key, it would always start with this wire i hooked up.
I thought it might be a problem with the starter not getting enough power, so thought maybe a wire wasn't working well, but they are all connecting properly (earths etc) , then i tried swapping the headlight and starter (little electric box, with 4 connections? sorry ive gone blank!!) and that didnt fix it. But it starts perfectly when you bypass the ignition with the wire. ( When the key is in the "ON" position)

Any Ideas?

Thanks

·
Shh i'm huntin more power
1,764 Posts
I've had the same sort of thing with mine except no matter how many time i push the key to start it wont start unless you take the key completely out the try again. I think it's got something to do with smartlock and the ignition switch.

·
Rail Rider
1,248 Posts
I get the same thing though about 1/100 chance.

When you turn the key to the ingnition positon wait 5 sec before hitting start, this will ensure that the smartlock signals to the CPU are not scrambled. The smartlock modual sends 3 codes to the CPU if less than 2 make it it won't start.

That's straight out of a work shop manual.

SO IMO it would depend on battery voltage, what equipment is powered at the time, anything that effects the wiring loom.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts