Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all out there, and compliments of the season.

I have an EF, that has an intermittent staring problem. Sometimes it starts, and sometimes it doesn't, and there is no pattern that I can discern as to when it will or wont start.
I have done the following:
1) checked the ECU reading when it doesn't start, and the code I get back is 111 which is supposed to mean it's o.k.

2) checked the starter motor connections, and hereby hangs a tale. If I check the wire going to the solenoid, I can get a 11 volt reading, and then it starts. I can also get a low voltage reading, and it wont start. Sounds logical.

3) I have replaced the gearbox inhibitor switch ( @ $80 thank you very much )

What I need to know is firstly, where is the starter relay and what does it look like? And secondly, according to the wiring diagram, there is what is called a starter resistor in the curcuit, with a diode. Again, does anybody know where that is, and what it looks like?

I am sure the problem is in the starter cuicuit, i.e. between the switch and the s/motor, as everything else works that is connected to the ignition switch.

If anybody has any ideas or clues, I would be really gatefull

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
creature3,

At the side near the battery is a set of 4 relays under a plastic cover. The relay closest to the driver (rear one) is the starter relay. It's a bit forward of the main relay bank.

cheers

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Top Ghia for that, I will have a look. Do you know if it is liable to be faulty? I guess there is always a first time though.
All I need to do now is find the resistor bit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts