Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1969 mustang fastback, just got a new engine in it, runs good and sounds great. I've been driving it on and off and one day it wouldnt start. I changed my starter and solenoid but the car still doesn't start. Everytime i try and crank it up the car makes a ringing bell sound around the right side of the engine compartment. I don't know exactly where it is coming from but i assume that its coming from the solenoid. Did anyone ever run into a similar problem maybe someone can help me out.

·
ford is king
169 Posts
why did you replace the stater motor when it's more than likely the battery.

replace the bettery and see what happens

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
You have a flat battery by the sounds of it.

The "ringing bell" sound is the starter solenoid clicking rapidly on and off which occurs when your battery is almost flat. ie: enough current to engage the solenoid, but not enough to crank the engine.

Just jump start it or charge your battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a orange top optima battery and its less than 2 months old i didnt think it would have been the battery. I just put the charger on the battery hopefully it'll crank up tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
ford390 said:
I have a orange top optima battery and its less than 2 months old i didnt think it would have been the battery. I just put the charger on the battery hopefully it'll crank up tomorrow.
Are your terminals or battery clamps in nice condition? Could just be a simple matter of cleaning everything up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I charged my battery and it wouldnt start, the ringing is louder now. Everything on my car is brand new, new wires, new clamps, new battery.
Thanks for helping me out but my cars been sitting in my garage for 3 weeks i think i should take it over to the shop its killing me not being able to drive my car.

·
Registered
827 Posts
G'day,
it DOES have an earth strap from the engine to the body doesn't it?

Everything brand new....the earth straps...the area they bolt to is CLEAN steel yes??

Jas

1 - 7 of 7 Posts