Ford Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
TuffZc and pursuit
301 Posts
Tornado said:
So “if” you flash it back to STD and then FORD re-flash your PCM the next time you flash it back you will actually overwrite the NEW ford flash with the original factory map.

Thats' what I meant to say :priest:

·
TuffZc and pursuit
301 Posts
Tornado said:
If you leave one of your maps in the PCM when it goes back to Ford and they Re-flash it your Flash Box becomes a vegetable and will need to be sent to the states to be cleared.
You must flash it back to STD before Ford does any reflash.

I wouldn't think it toast the box

I thinkCapa can clear the box,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Best thing to do if you must take your car to ford for each service interval, is maybe going to a different dealer each time. That way if they ask any questions as to why you have an old tune, you can simply blame the old dealer hehe

·
Registered
118 Posts
I heard this from a mate so im not 100% sure on the acruacy of the story. A mate of mine works at a ford dealer and a fella bought in an xr6t which he bought 2nd hand from a toyota dealer and also bought as stantard. The motor had s&@t itself after a week toyota couldnt do anything with it so my mates work had a look and apparently the they saw that a tuner had been used at some stage or another ie: it had left some kind of footprint so ford said sorry that will be $12000 for a new motor. Now like i sad i didnt hear if from the horses mouth so as far as i know the tuner could have been loaded up still, so there is at least one case out there of ford voiding the warranty (maybe)

·
SHAKEN, not stirred
115 Posts
I am in limbo land.

I asked CAPA about future Ford upgrades, and was told

That the unit would either need to be sent back to CAPA, or a tuner so as to upload the current (and future) Ford "factory" tune.
I contatcted a tuner to ask how much (or if) the price to download the new "factory" tune, I was told that the unit picks up this tune and stores it.

Back to CAPA, they stood by thier original statement that the unit needs to be "re set" to the upgraded "factory tune". They said they would talk to the tuner.

Still in limbo

Regards

Paul

·
TuffZc and pursuit
301 Posts
If your standard tune has been reflashed to a later version by your ford dealer, you would need to have your flasher box unlocked either by the tuner or by capa, but by unlocking it, you would loose your stored tunes as well.

Your tuner should be able to reload the tunes, you would then plug the flasher back into your car, it would then upload the lastest ford tune, then you could play with any tune you like and then go back to the latest version from ford.

All would be good until ford bring out another updated tune.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
ratter said:
If your standard tune has been reflashed to a later version by your ford dealer, you would need to have your flasher box unlocked either by the tuner or by capa, but by unlocking it, you would loose your stored tunes as well.

Your tuner should be able to reload the tunes, you would then plug the flasher back into your car, it would then upload the lastest ford tune, then you could play with any tune you like and then go back to the latest version from ford.

All would be good until ford bring out another updated tune.
Let me see if i've got this right. If you live in an area without any access to a tuner. You would have to send your box to capa etc to get cleared if your car gets an updated program when it's in for a service. When you get back the "empty" box you could then upload the latest base tune into the box. You would then send the box back to capa etc to get your "custom" tunes reloaded into the box. Am i on the right track here ?

·
TuffZc and pursuit
301 Posts
PEP71 said:
Let me see if i've got this right. If you live in an area without any access to a tuner. You would have to send your box to capa etc to get cleared if your car gets an updated program when it's in for a service. When you get back the "empty" box you could then upload the latest base tune into the box. You would then send the box back to capa etc to get your "custom" tunes reloaded into the box. Am i on the right track here ?
Sort of correct.
Capa could load 3 tunes after they have unlocked the box and before they send it back to you. if you had custome tunes done, only the tuner will have a copy of the custom tunes
Next time you plug the box in, it would upload the ford software, so then you would have all three slots filled and could select bewteen which tune you want to download.

·
BLACK PANTHER
383 Posts
Ok this is what happens if you leave your custom tune in in the ecu and take it into ford and they flash the ecu your program is lost and your box needs to be recalibrated......

If you have your standard factory tune in the ecu and ford flashes an upgrade and then you reflash your ecu with the custom tune, the box will pull the new factory tune out and store it in the box.....

And yes talking to a dervice manager today they still can not detect the custom tunes....

21 - 29 of 29 Posts