Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Australian EB Fairmont Ghia Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hy guys... my steering is a bit loose and i went to get it checked out... the guy said it just needed to be adjusted and i'd rather do it myself.. some help please.
its rack and pinion.
cheers

T

·
0 Posts
when your in the car wriggle your steering wheel, without trying to turn the wheels, how much freeplay do you have.

·
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
too much.. probably an inch either way.
also getting some sort of "creeking" sound when i turn corners sometimes... mostly in the mornings.

G

·
0 Posts
I have the same problem which happened after I had new shockies fitted by pedders where there is a lot of play in the steering which wasn't like that before.
Phark knows what those dickheads have done.

T

·
0 Posts
for an inch freeplay, thats about normal, but if your not sure, I would check your upper and lower ball joints.

·
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well this guy got under and checked it out and turned the wheel a few times... he told me it was loose... it doesnt feel too bad to me but i'm no expert..
and what about the creeking noise?

T

·
0 Posts
the creaking noise could be anything from worn shocks to loose brackets, dry rubber bushings. where did he say the steering was loose, in the box itself, or in the rack. cause both are adjustable.

·
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
he didnt say too much.. but i think it was the rack

T

·
0 Posts
Check your balljoints first. If they check out ok, see if your rack is loose on the front crossmember.

·
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cool thanks

·
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i found the creeking noise.. one of the swaybar rubbers is stuffed.
also i couldnt find anything loose with the rack.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
So Guys, how do they tighten the slack from the steering, i heard it can be done without changing the rack.
Any ideas, mine is not that loose nor does it creak but i would like to tighten it up abit if possible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts