Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Do you guys know how to setup preload in 08 Nav steering rack? There is a big screw on left bottom (driver side) of the rack. Before I start tinkering, I would like to know if that even makes any sense.
If it does, do I have to remove that screw (it's 3" in diameter I think) to adjust it?

·
Super Moderator
7,734 Posts
Honestly, I've never heard of anyone having to adjust the preload on a rack. If things have become loose, you may be better off replacing it.

·
Super Moderator
7,734 Posts
Can't argue with that, but rack and pinion doesn't have the play that the old school knuckles had. Tolerances are tighter, generally it means that if the preload is lost, you probably have to do a rebuild, in the long run, you're better off replacing.

·
Super Moderator
19,303 Posts
As above , usually indicative of excessive wear / or a component failure .Vital that any adjustments or overhaul work is carried out to correct specs . Not like old racks which were relatively easy to overhaul .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I decided to try with adjusting that nut I was talking about. Loosen the big washer/nut and used 19mm socket to tighten the small nut. I did half a turn, maybe less than that. The play is gone and the steering it good now. Just wondering how long it's going to last. Will see

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, I decided to try with adjusting that nut I was talking about. Loosen the big washer/nut and used 19mm socket to tighten the small nut. I did half a turn, maybe less than that. The play is gone and the steering it good now. Just wondering how long it's going to last. Will see
Good for you! All I read and are people whining about their crappy rebuilt racks that do nothing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts