Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm gonna give it a go this sunday arvo unless the shop's willing to give me free installation on the spot.

now, i'm just getting a head unit (sony) and 4 speakers - 6" up front and 6x9" 3 ways down the back. what i'm puzzled about is, how the hell do you get the speakers into the front door? do you have to take the whole door trim panel off or what? also, will the speakers fit behind the plastic mesh or will i have to get rid of that? i don't want the speakers to show since the car's a daily driver and i leave it at a carpark for 8-9 hours every day.

basically, any tips would be great help!

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
I have the Premium sound in my XR, so I haven't touched anything with that so far, but I did do some work with my old EA.

The EA had 4" front speakers. I'm not sure what your car has in the front currently, but if they aren't 6" you might have a fun time installing those.

To replace the 4" front speakers, you have to remove the door trim, to expose the speaker mounts, which were black plastic. I replacedthe factory speaker connections with my own, and the new 4" speakers (they were Sansui's...) simply screwed back in place. Pretty easy.

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've got premium sound or whatever they call it, but the middle spec one. it's not the bodgy Forte system, and it's not the system with a single dash cd player. while i have no issues with the radio, speakers and tape player, i can't play cds without an addapter which is a pain in the ass!

this is an mp3 head unit so i'll be able to play 10 hrs of music straight!

damn, looks like i'll have to remove the door trim... that's a lot more work.

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
What model is your Falcon? The current Premium sound packages are 6-stacker in dash CD players + tape player.

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i don't know what they call it. prestige, premium, something like that. it's double DIN and it's got no cd player but it's meant to go with the 6cd stacker.

my falcon's an AU1 Classic btw

·
Registered
43 Posts
HI,

I have just re done my AU2. The front doors had 5x7 speakers and yep you do need to remove the entire trim It took a while to figure out but the key is to pop the electric window buttons out and remove the screw also to remove the internal door handel cover and then the bolt behind it as well as the one behind the small round plastic cover. I put in 5x7 2 way kickers and the dirrfence is chalk and cheese.

I hope this helps.

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whoa... i just bought it all and to be honest, i can't be fucked, excuse my french!

i'm just going ot drive into one of those stereo installation places and have them install it for me. you have to disconnect the battery, connect this first, that first... nah, not my thing. i can fiddle with computers but this is different.

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh bloody hell, listen to me!
of course i'm going to do it myself! i'm not stupid or anything...

ok, so basically, i disconnect the car battery first. wouldn't that activate the alarm?

then i take the old unit out (uhm, how the hell do i do that?), disconnect all the wires, etc. and connect the new one.

first goes the black wire (ground) then everything else and in the and the red and the yellow? correct?

but, wouldn't the car already have the black plub with the wires installed?

ANY feedback would more more than appreciated! i've never tried installing car stereos so tomorrow's my big test.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts