Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've had the ef fairmont for 3 months and it is time to upgrade the stereo.it has the standard 6 disc in the boot. my question is can i run an amp off the standard head unit or will i have to change to a unit with rca preout. also the disc stacker reminds me of a pioneer one i had. were these made by pioneer for ford? any help would be great cause i don't want to throw stuff away that still works well.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Not sure about running amps, probably can't. The stereo system is probably Phillips, I think the Pioneer deal finished around the XE.
I would pull the old stereo out and replace with new Pioneer/other reputable brand. Wait until new if you can and you will most likely pick one up on special for around $500-600 . Or if you happen to be going to Summernats they usually have great deals happening there. In Pioneer there are different head units to run multiple amps (I recently found this out the hard way) so best to talk to a car stereo shop and find out the exact thing you need and then go shopping around for prices. I don't know all the techno mumbo jumbo about why or how with the multiple amp thing I just know that my new stereo had a few "problems" but have it sorted now.
If you upgrade keep your old stereo so you can refit when you sell the car.

·
Ford Member
292 Posts
Falchoon said:
Not sure about running amps, probably can't. The stereo system is probably Phillips, I think the Pioneer deal finished around the XE.
I would pull the old stereo out and replace with new Pioneer/other reputable brand. Wait until new if you can and you will most likely pick one up on special for around $500-600 . Or if you happen to be going to Summernats they usually have great deals happening there. In Pioneer there are different head units to run multiple amps (I recently found this out the hard way) so best to talk to a car stereo shop and find out the exact thing you need and then go shopping around for prices. I don't know all the techno mumbo jumbo about why or how with the multiple amp thing I just know that my new stereo had a few "problems" but have it sorted now.
If you upgrade keep your old stereo so you can refit when you sell the car.
Bad and possibly expensive advice, You can easily add an external amp(s) wihtout any problems. Lack of RCA inputs is solved by using a $20 converter or you can purchase an amp like the sony Xplod series which have both sets of connectors.

If you want to run a competetion system by all means replace the standard system with a more expensive head unit + external amps but I would reccomend the following.

Get a 4 channel amp with something like 40-80W RMS per channel.

Get a decent 8-10" subwoofer and replace your rears and fronts to your taste and/or budget.

Run your fronts of the existing headset, the rears off 2 channels of the exteranl amp and bride the last and run the sub off of that.

Using quality components you can get a big improvement in you sound quality and SPL + you keep the use of your stereo control on the wheel which is nice and convenient.

All this depends on your budget but unless you have more money than sense it makes sense to spend a reasoanble amount on car sound and spend the big $$$ on your home hi-fi where you don't have engine,tyre, electrical noise and getting real quality sound is extremely difficult and expensive.

·
Registered
698 Posts
2 put in my 2 cents worth.
Most amps these days have high level inputs, which mean that you can run the audio inputs straight from the speaker lines of your existing deck !!!!!

My suggestion would be, spend the money on a decent amp, and sub.
<LI>With the EF models, there is a cut out, where you can fit an 8" sub. The only problem with this, is 8" usually aren't very bassy.
A 10" is a lot better, but it needs a larger hole to be cut, for it to fit. (Also, with a 10" you will have vibrations in the metal, so you will need to put a layer of MDF wood, to brace the metal.
<LI>Then, I would replace the two 6" speakers on the rear parcel tray, with something decent. Personally, I dont like 6x9's. They are meant for akward tights spots, a good pair of 6.5"'s and 2 tweeters sound much cleaner.
<LI>Then I would add 2 tweeters to the speaker spaces in the top of the crash pad / dash.
<LI>Finally I would replace the door speakers (The doors rattle a little too much, so they really dont make too much of a difference with good speakers)

The decks on the EF Fairmont are pretty damm good, and you would need to spend a fair bit of money to get a better deck and stacker.

But having said that, You can always spend big on a good deck, keep it, and install in every car you get. Thats what I have done with the past cars that I have had.

Anyway, speakers will make more of an improvement, than any deck will, to car sound !!!!

·
BSR Field Agent
578 Posts
OK Dude Don't listen to shit advice.

Step one if you are happy with basis sound you can use your existing Head Unit using high pass connections to an amp. Without bagging your system that is the poor mans alternative..

Step two if you are smart enough "DO NOT" bridge a Head Unit to provide power to a sub.... This is crap!!!!

I would suggest..

Go to a Head Unit providing front, rear and Sub out RCA's. Cost a little more but gives you all the control you can think of.

If you want more than 20 Watts RMS per channel go for at first a 4 Channel amp to power your front and rear speakers and then a 2 Channel amp for a Sub Woofer, this you "can" bridge if it is decent.!!

If you are serious with your sound.!! Do not stuff around with 8" Sub Woofers. Go straight for 10" or 12" boxed subs... 8" is crap...

From a Car Stereo connoisseur shit sound shit!!!

Upgrade and enhance your listening pleasure.

Speak to a well known Car Stereo installation shop. Or PM me and I will give you some sound advice. Not being a smart arse just passing on 20 years of Car stereo experience..

Nipper...

·
Ford Member
292 Posts
Geez,

I didn' t think it was that bad...and where in anyone's post had they suggested bridging 2 headset channels to power a sub?

I have noticed an interesting thread with some people on this board and its the whole spend the earth on everything to do with the car.

Its just a car guys...

·
au2 forte
139 Posts
The only advice I'll give is don't spend money on the rear spkrs if you are on a budget. The BIGGEST improvement in sound quality you can get would be a set of GOOD 6 or 6.5" splits. You can keep you factory head unit for now and hook it upto a 4chan amp with high level inputs (or get a hi-low converter). After you have that much setup, see how you like it. Then you'll be in a much better position to judge your next move. oh, and stay the heck away from free-air subs (imho), esp since you have plenty of boot space available.

btw Nippers advice was pretty good (imho). If you want opinions for your stereo, you could try posting a question on: www.caraudioaustralia.com . A damn good site.

·
BSR Field Agent
578 Posts
TheBow said:
Geez,

I didn' t think it was that bad...and where in anyone's post had they suggested bridging 2 headset channels to power a sub?

I have noticed an interesting thread with some people on this board and its the whole spend the earth on everything to do with the car.

Its just a car guys...
Steady on Chief, I don't believe I said anyone had posted that advice. I simply said don't listen to anyone who tells you to take this option. There appears to be a bit of a recent trend in car audio for dodgey Audio sellers to convince the unwary to bridged H/Unit Channels to run subs..

My apologies if anyone thought I was having a go at the info in their posts. I was not..

Nipper...:BW:

·
gone
10,402 Posts
TheBow said:
Geez,

Its just a car guys...
Mate

From reading Nippers reply I can assure you I dont think he was referring to you!

Like nipper, over the Last 15 years I have made a huge inroad into the car audio industry as a consumer, winning many judged events etc etc etc..

These days I tend to go for quality rather than 141dec winning performance! (ears Hurt Too much)

Plus the MG's keep me quite busy re cash!

If you get the righ job, advice 1st time, less cash later on!

·
Ford Member
292 Posts
Awww, it's okay, must have been that time of the month.

Last day of work before Hols - got a bit touchy

I feel sorry for anyone trying to buy anything for car audio as its all dominated by "sik moits" who generally don't know the diff between RMS and PMPO.

When is there going to be legistlation to have truth in labelling for car audio products.

·
Ford Member
292 Posts
Okay then, now that's under control.

Hpw about people say what AV equipment they have in their car and how it rates in the real world.

I currently just have the standard premium audio in the XR8 so that doesn't really count.

It sounds pretty good for a facvtory job but I definately think it needs an external amp though.

·
BSR Field Agent
578 Posts
OK here we go:

Pioneer AVX - 7300 LCD 7" In Dash Colour Screen.
Pioneer SDV - P7 Single DVD/VCD/Audio CD in Dash Player
Pioneer AVM - P8000 Processor incorporating 4 x 45 watts. FM/AM Super Tuner Radio, GUI (Graphical User Interface) this produces all the Audio control pictures to the Screen.
Pioneer CDX - P650 6 Disc CD Stacker in the Boot.

Boston Accoustic 5 x 7" Splits in the front.
Boston Accoustic 5 x 7" 2 Way Coaxials in the rear.

Boston Accoustic 12" Generator Sub in Factory Sealed Box.