Ford Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. I think it is about time that the Aussie car industry gets a little more serious about the quality of the cars they are manufacturing. I'm thinking of writing a letter to the editor of Wheels magazine suggesting they do an article on the quality of the two most popular Australian Cars - i.e. the Ford Falcon and the Holden Commodore. I would encourage everyone else to do the same as I think a serous public article about this issue is well overdue. After all, these magazines keep telling how dam good these cars are and awarding them COTY.

I am aware that the VY Commodore has several common faults. But apart from the GENIII's power steering pump I am not aware of the rest. However, given that a heap of blokes I work with have BA falcons and from reading this forum I am more than aware of the problems the BA falcon has: i.e. Waterpump O Rings, Stalling, Immobiliser shutting down, Brake Shudder, etc etc.

What do you guys think? To get the ball rolling does someone know the email address of the editor at Wheels Magazine? So that I don't come across one sided what are the factual common probs with the VY?

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
Why exclude the Mitsubishi Magna from such a prestigous award....

Choice Magazine does something similar.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Wheels used to run an annual quality awards which I reckon were a great idea but I guess it became too hard. I would not think it fair to rubbish Falcadores when other vehicles are right up there in the trouble stakes.

[email protected]
[email protected]

·
RACE
2,950 Posts
I agree with Pete. Why rubbish the locals when you will find imported brands have many issues of their own. I know that Mercedes Benz has had some common faults they have had to deal with. So it is unfairly derogitory towards our locally made cars considering the number of cars sold as apposed to small volume luxury imported cars.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Whilst it shouldn't single out the locally produced cars it should aim at the half doean top sellers as a reasonable representation.

Has been a while since JDP have done one in Australia too and this leaves us behind the US and Europe where the average number of faults is considered to be a buying criteria.

Cheers
Russ

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All good points. Wheels did used to do the quality awards. Not sure why they stopped but my money says politics had some influence. Plus if you read Wheels magazines 50th anniversary issue you will see how they used to hire cars from Avis to overcome the manufactures giving them the pick of the crop for road tests. It is this very practice that prevented the EL (I think) from winning COTY. Ford apparently complained bitterly when they didn't win (having provided tweaked cars) and withdrew advertising but when Wheels took Ford Executives for a drive in a car hired from Avis they soon shut up and reworked the suspension on the cars. So, perhaps Wheels could go back to a past idea and grab 4 top selling locals - And, I mean grab some real examples that haven't been provided by the manufacturers and drive them around Australia. And, I mean not a quick flying dash but a test that includes several days of city driving that would really simulate real ownership of these cars. I think wheels could really have a very good story if they tried this.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Mongoose:
Well said mate and I remember the issue on the tweaked cars too! Dirty dirty dirty. I suspect Subaru have been tweaking their cars for quite a while.

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
That's been going on for years. For example none of the production Jag E-Types could match the performance of the "carefully prepared" car they used for the original 1961 road tests.

·
Registered
581 Posts
mongoose3800 said:
All good points. Wheels did used to do the quality awards. Not sure why they stopped but my money says politics had some influence. Plus if you read Wheels magazines 50th anniversary issue you will see how they used to hire cars from Avis to overcome the manufactures giving them the pick of the crop for road tests. It is this very practice that prevented the EL (I think) from winning COTY. Ford apparently complained bitterly when they didn't win (having provided tweaked cars) and withdrew advertising but when Wheels took Ford Executives for a drive in a car hired from Avis they soon shut up and reworked the suspension on the cars. So, perhaps Wheels could go back to a past idea and grab 4 top selling locals - And, I mean grab some real examples that haven't been provided by the manufacturers and drive them around Australia. And, I mean not a quick flying dash but a test that includes several days of city driving that would really simulate real ownership of these cars. I think wheels could really have a very good story if they tried this.
Maybe this will result in a test of XR's equipped with 17" rims and standard brakes!!! You know, a real world test. Not everyone can afford the $4,500 these two options cost.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts