Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had to replace my stop light switch on my '97 EL for the third time in four years! Anybody got any idea what killing them?

·
Super Moderator
3,722 Posts
The workshop manual warns to turn the switch only 4 turns as it incorporates a self locking feature and will fail if turned more than 4 turns.

·
Super Moderator
3,722 Posts
Don't know as I always obeyed the instructions but I suspect it would fail imediatelt. The Manual also warns that if removed the switch cannot be re-used and must be replaced.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm, got a feelin' the switch in question is not the same as those being discussed. This one resides under the brake pedal and is held there by a pin and spring clip arrangement. There is no 'screwing' or 'adjusting' etc. It fails simply but not turning on the stop lights or off the cruise control which is particularly annoying! The curious part of it all is if you check it out with a multimeter it appears to be OK. However, with some current through it, that is when it fails to operate. It must be said though, it is the easiest switch that I have ever replaced, can do it in seconds, oh allright, minutes.But it is annoying and at $30 a pop.....! Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Is moisture getting into it from somewhere?

Next time give it a good slop of di-electric grease to prevent this. A tube of Dow Corning 4 Electrical Insulating Compound is good for this. Is also good for fuse blades and relay contacts to stop corrosion.

Happy New Year :smokin::beer::beer:

·
Super Moderator
3,722 Posts
Hmm. Well I don't have an EL but the ones on my NB and NC screw in near the brake pedal and I do have a Haynes EL workshop manual here that has the warning "Take care when instaalling the brake light switch. The switch uses a self locking mechanisim that can only be used once. If a switch is overtightened and then backed off it will have to be replaced." However, the accompanying pic of the switch does look different to the one on the NB and NC. Possibilities include: Ford upgraded the switch for the EL and the Haynes Manual is wrong or out of date, NZ Fords have different switches or and aftermarket switch has been fitted. I know some of the cheaper after market switched have a habit of failing quickly. Does the old switch have the Ford logo or part number on it?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a similar problem on my XH, I have been removing the switch, pulling it apart and cleaning the contacts with isopropyl alcohol. This lasts about 3 weeks. Fu#*in shits me no end.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I wasn't going to get ripped off by ford and buy that genuine part($45). I went down to a local auto shop and brought one for a Datsun. It has a adjustable thread. I had to make a braket to bolt on to the brake pedal arm. Trouble is it only lasted 11 mths. They replaced it under warranty and guess what happened? yes it stuffed up after 11 mths again. So they said they couldn't replace it twice. There must be a better quality switch available out their. I know...maybe ask a Taxi driver. I would say these guys are in the know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts