Ford Forums banner

Stopping the darn key reminder chime...?

37K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  mosack 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

Anybody know how to stop the annoying chime that sounds each time you open the door with the key in the ignition?

Cheers
Paul

#2 ·
Paulm said:
Hey Guys,

Anybody know how to stop the annoying chime that sounds each time you open the door with the key in the ignition?

Cheers
Paul
If you find out let me know!!
What I hate the most is that I like to start the car THEN put my seatbelt on, but NNOOOOO...little Escape dosen't like that :whoaa:
I like the beep for the lights though....

#4 ·
Well fellas youll be please to know i have found the solution, havnt had it done yet, plan to early next week!!

I talked to the ford dealer who did it for my fellow workers and he said to get your dealer/mechanic, have a look at the ignition lock, the wire going into pin number 5, should be pink and black, cut it, bend back and tape. The only thing it it imobolises is the key chime!!! lights doors, others still work!

G
#5 ·
FordFreak said:
If you find out let me know!!
What I hate the most is that I like to start the car THEN put my seatbelt on, but NNOOOOO...little Escape dosen't like that :whoaa:
I like the beep for the lights though....

I beleive the instructions are in the owners manual. I was able to deactivate the safety belt chime.

#6 ·
Absolutey, in the owners manual. If anyone is too lazy to go look it up, here it is:

Preparation
Before deactivating/activating the belt minder, set the parking brake.
Place the gearshift in P (PARK) (automatic transmission) or the NEUTRAL position (manual transmission).
Place the ignition switch in the OFF position.
Close all the vehicle doors.
Unbuckle the driver safety belt.
Place the parking lamps/headlamps switch in the OFF position. (If the vehicle is equipped with autolamps, the autolamps must be disabled first.)
Deactivating/Activating
Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position. (Do not start the engine.)
Wait until the safety belt warning lamp turns off. (approximately one to two minutes)
NOTE: Steps 3 through 5 must be completed within 60 seconds or the procedure must be repeated.

Completely pull and retract the safety belt three times, ending with the safety belt retracted.
Turn the parklamps/headlamps on then off.
Completely pull and retract the safety belt three times ending with the safety belt retracted. After this step the safety belt warning lamp will be illuminated for three seconds.
Within seven seconds of the safety belt warning lamp turning off, completely pull and retract the safety belt. This will enable the belt minder if disabled or disable the belt minder if enabled.
The following sequence of events confirm the belt minder is enabled:
• flashing of the safety belt warning belt lamp four times per second for three seconds
• three seconds with the safety belt lamp off
• flashing the safety belt lamp four times per second for three seconds again
The safety belt lamp flashing four times per second for three seconds provides confirmation that the belt minder is disabled.
After confirmation, the deactivation/activation procedure is complete.

#11 ·
Absolutey, in the owners manual. If anyone is too lazy to go look it up, here it is:

Preparation
Before deactivating/activating the belt minder, set the parking brake.
Place the gearshift in P (PARK) (automatic transmission) or the NEUTRAL position (manual transmission).
Place the ignition switch in the OFF position.
Close all the vehicle doors.
Unbuckle the driver safety belt.
Place the parking lamps/headlamps switch in the OFF position. (If the vehicle is equipped with autolamps, the autolamps must be disabled first.)
Deactivating/Activating
Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position. (Do not start the engine.)
Wait until the safety belt warning lamp turns off. (approximately one to two minutes)
NOTE: Steps 3 through 5 must be completed within 60 seconds or the procedure must be repeated.

Completely pull and retract the safety belt three times, ending with the safety belt retracted.
Turn the parklamps/headlamps on then off.
Completely pull and retract the safety belt three times ending with the safety belt retracted. After this step the safety belt warning lamp will be illuminated for three seconds.
Within seven seconds of the safety belt warning lamp turning off, completely pull and retract the safety belt. This will enable the belt minder if disabled or disable the belt minder if enabled.
The following sequence of events confirm the belt minder is enabled:
• flashing of the safety belt warning belt lamp four times per second for three seconds
• three seconds with the safety belt lamp off
• flashing the safety belt lamp four times per second for three seconds again
The safety belt lamp flashing four times per second for three seconds provides confirmation that the belt minder is disabled.
After confirmation, the deactivation/activation procedure is complete.
LOL - The OP is looking for the key in ignition chime, not the seat belt warning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.