1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
I can't see anyone catching Holden yet, it amazes me though how cheap they can sell VX SS's, I've seen $40,000 :eek: Just makes me laugh when I see in the second hand market that guys are wanting high 30's low 40's for VTII SS:rolleyes:

I don't know what's so special about Astra and Vectra either, the Astra looks terrible I reckon, and the Vectra is a dog to drive, its got a dodgy interia and there's too much body roll.

If Ford could only bring the new mondeo to compete with it, it would absolutely leave it ford dead.

·
Mr. Embargo
3,745 Posts
The Vectra, Astra and Barina/Corsa are not class leaders in Europe, they're undesirable dogs with chronic resale values, and yet they are swallowed up here and given praise. Its unfortunate that Polities ruled out the Mondeo, talk about a class leader.

Ford have been the ones who have suffered badly with resale values, technically it should be Holden's turn now. There's going to be a great influx of Commodores coming through from fleets so expect their values to drop considerably.

On a slightly similar matter, Ford should learn that when you run out Falcon's for less than 22 000, the resale value of that model will drop to the floor...stop doing it!!!

·
Shhh, we're hunting Lions
1,610 Posts
It comes back to Astra and Vectra being Holdens therefore people buy them, if they were another brand they would not sell in the volumes they currently are, for some reason people still associate Holden with being Australian when they are just a piece of the GM jigsaw.

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
RPO83 said:
On a slightly similar matter, Ford should learn that when you run out Falcon's for less than 22 000, the resale value of that model will drop to the floor...stop doing it!!!
How else are they gonna sell them?? The AU1 Forte/Futura looks to be the problem, no one really wants to buy them. I can't imagine seeing too many P platers wanting to own one, where as I sure we will see heaps of VT execs with P plates. I think ford will have serious problems selling old AU stock.

·
Shhh, we're hunting Lions
1,610 Posts
I think that the AU1 Fortes that are dumped to the ground and have decent size mags look good, and the different grille of course. I would definately not buy a standard one though especially in green, Man are they ugly. :(

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
JEM said:

I think ford will have serious problems selling old AU stock.
That works well for me in a way, the more trouble they have seeling them, the more discounted they will be and the more likely I can afford one in my target timeframe.
As long as I can find a manual sedan although thats probably not very likely :(

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
Adam W said:
So your not an auto man Donut King, yeah I prefer to actually drive the car myself too.:cool:
If I can't find an auto version when it comed to purchase I'd almost consider a manual conversion or getting the damn thing engineered to take a manual if needs be. So yeah I'm not an Auto person ;) :D

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Adam W said:
I think that the AU1 Fortes that are dumped to the ground and have decent size mags look good, and the different grille of course. I would definately not buy a standard one though especially in green, Man are they ugly. :(
These are the cars that can be made look extremely good. Buy one cheep enough and there is next to no work to get an XR front on it, new wheels and presto.

Both manufactures claim to want a better share of the private buyer but none seem to be too interested in looking after the buyer when trade time comes along. You have to be seriously well off to be changing cars in the new market every two to three years!

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JEM said:
I think ford will have serious problems selling old AU stock.
I think Ford are having trouble just selling AUI & II Falcons. I'm sorry but I need to get this out.
What the phuck were product development thinking? Nothing in the showrooms even looked remotely like it, and when the original AU came out you'd swear the bastard was a 4WD! I see AU's on the road and just shake my head at the lost opportunity. I mean the cars are fantastic to drive but sh*t they look ordinary.
[/rant]
Thank christ our eyes look forward rather than behind us. Bring on Barra, Fiesta and the Focus. I hate losing to that mob from Fishermans Bend... :(

·
Australian Forte Member
50 Posts
HEY! I love my AU 1 Forte.With its 17" Tickford wheels it looks great.I do admit that when they first came out I didn't like the look but after a while it grew on me . Whith a nice set of wheels and a lowering job (next task) I recon they **** on Commos in the looks dept.Oh and colour coded grill but the forte's liquid silver anyway.I took the grill out the other day to see what it looks like with maybe black mesh and it looks prety good imo.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Forte said:
HEY! I love my AU 1 Forte.With its 17" Tickford wheels it looks great.I do admit that when they first came out I didn't like the look but after a while it grew on me . Whith a nice set of wheels and a lowering job (next task) I recon they **** on Commos in the looks dept.Oh and colour coded grill but the forte's liquid silver anyway.I took the grill out the other day to see what it looks like with maybe black mesh and it looks prety good imo.
I agree with you. I think the Au 1 works better as a do upper for the young guys. You try putting a kit on the Holden and if you are not carefull it really starts to look crap.

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
Sorry boys, didn't want to ruffle any feathers. I agree that with some work the AU1 forte can look great too, especially in the right color, and this is what the dealers should be doing to make them an attractive proposition for buyers. lower them, nice set of 17's, and a crome exhaust should see them move out of yards a bit quicker.

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
lower them, nice set of 17's, and a crome exhaust should see them move out of yards a

isnt that what the new SR was designed for? (apart from the 17 inch wheels that is)

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JEM said:
I agree that with some work the AU1 forte can look great too, especially in the right color..
For sure. The only problem is they don't come like that from the factory. I'm talking stock as stock AUI Forte & Futura from november '98. I reckon they look great with the rear wing (especially the XR Bi wing) and a good set of wheels, but if you look at the original AU it's a tad ordinary. Like HSE said they're a great base to work with for young-uns to do up.. :D

·
Australian Forte Member
50 Posts
Hey i'm no young un!turn forte sorry forty this year I'm just fiscally challenged . No way am I going to buy new unless it's something i'm keeping for a long time something like an xr8.The Forte has a wing as well but i actually would prefer it with out but thats how it came.The more i look at the back of those saggy arsed commos with those dopy looking wheels the more I hate them.The biggest prob with standard au is hubcaps how hard can it be to design a plastic disc that looks good?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts