Ford Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read with a CAI you need to put bigger injectors in to compensate the increase in air flow, if I were to straight pipe and throw a fart can on the car do I need to do anything else, of course I'll have the shop make it so I can run an 02 sensor as well.

Also anybody know what size injectors come stock on a 94 2.3 5 speed? If I were to replace the injectors what would fit?

Sounds stupid but whatever it was a $350 car and I'm going to be that guy with a modded tempo. Dont plan on actually making it faster just want to mod it but not blow it up.

THANKS

·
Registered
66 Posts
IIRC the ‘94’s had Mass Air Flow sensors, that gives you a little more latitude with mods.

If you’re just replacing the exhaust I wouldn’t worry about new fuel injectors yet. I’d make sure everything else is up to snuff though - fuel pump pressure check, change the fuel filter, check/replace plugs and wires, etc.

I still have the ‘86 Tempo that’s been handed down through the family since it was new. That freakin’ car WILL NOT DIE. It’s earned the nickname Honey Badger and has been the first car of about every kid in the extended family, so you can imagine what it looks like!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Personally I’d go ahead and put the CAI on it and see if the Service Engine Soon light comes on. If it doesn’t, no worries. If it does,

1) Check fuel pressure and replace fuel filter if you haven’t done so already. I don’t have the procedure, but the rate of fuel flow should be checked too. Or just replace the pump with an OEM quality pump.

For the increase in power you’ll get, I think it will be within the capability of the stock injectors, as long as they’re in good condition.

2) Put the original air box, hoses, etc. back on the car. Not as satisfying as a CAI, but the car won’t have drivability problems.

3) Have the ECU re-mapped. A shop that does pre-OBD-II Mustangs may be able to help.

This is a must-have book for these cars; it covers 1994 cars too.

There is another book with the same title for cars from about 1985 to 1987.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally I’d go ahead and put the CAI on it and see if the Service Engine Soon light comes on. If it doesn’t, no worries. If it does,

1) Check fuel pressure and replace fuel filter if you haven’t done so already. I don’t have the procedure, but the rate of fuel flow should be checked too. Or just replace the pump with an OEM quality pump.

For the increase in power you’ll get, I think it will be within the capability of the stock injectors, as long as they’re in good condition.

2) Put the original air box, hoses, etc. back on the car. Not as satisfying as a CAI, but the car won’t have drivability problems.

3) Have the ECU re-mapped. A shop that does pre-OBD-II Mustangs may be able to help.

This is a must-have book for these cars; it covers 1994 cars too.

There is another book with the same title for cars from about 1985 to 1987.
Ok so I have cut the muffler off cat is still on put a CAI on and pod filter on the breather part of the valve cover, still waiting on the pod filter for the black cylindrical thing in the front of the engine bay, (evap system?) I dont have the air temp sensor hooked up to anything.

When I'm sitting still I can rev high enough for the shift light to come on, when driving the revs dont get high enough for the shift light to come on, instead of the car bouncing off the rev limiter when driving it goes by speed now for example I cant go past 35 in second.

Timing issue? Or is it the disconnected air temp sensor? I had a 91 miata with the temp sensor disconnected but I could still bounce off the rev limiter in first gear, where this tempo like I said bounces off the speedo now.

Didn't do this before

·
Registered
66 Posts
With the air temp sensor disconnected, the computer will go in to a limp home mode.

Instead of reading actual air temperature, it refers to a pre-programmed safe value. It sounds like this is killing your torque.

I’d try installing the air temp sensor, and then check for any stored codes. Since your car is a ‘94, it has a pre-OBD II computer. Are you familiar with how to get the codes?

And does your Service Engine Soon light work? That moment when you turn the key to On and all the dash lights come on (before you crank it over) is the Bulb Check routine. The SES light should temporarily come on. You’ll need that to count the flashes, indicating any codes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With the air temp sensor disconnected, the computer will go in to a limp home mode.

Instead of reading actual air temperature, it refers to a pre-programmed safe value. It sounds like this is killing your torque.

I’d try installing the air temp sensor, and then check for any stored codes. Since your car is a ‘94, it has a pre-OBD II computer. Are you familiar with how to get the codes?

And does your Service Engine Soon light work? That moment when you turn the key to On and all the dash lights come on (before you crank it over) is the Bulb Check routine. The SES light should temporarily come on. You’ll need that to count the flashes, indicating any codes.

I'm gonna try to reset the ECU, no dummy lights pop up currently, and if the ECU reset doesn't work ill drill a hole into the rubber hose for the temp sensor, like I was saying my 91 miata with a rebuilt motor and what not had a CAI and the temp sensor was disconnected the entire time however thats how i bought it. But who knows ill report back with my findings, good thing I have 2 cars to pull parts from

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tapes the temp sensor up to some wiring so its not flying around, reset the ecu and have been rodding on it so it learns how I drive, the Ole Italian Tune if you will and its starting to fix itself, juts a bit so I'm gonna give the MAF a clean and it should be G2G.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok so if I am doing it up on this Tempaz Thing too I already have this Conical Filter that fits by Bumper to which it acts as a Housing or almost like a Bell as well. I do not aim to go off-roading and I have the majority of the Piping to run from here back up over the Radiator to the Original Housing after I reinspect for Leaks as well as clean sufficiently the Intake. I also need to find the best way to compress and have forcible air to flow better with the idea of Acceleration improving while still having fairly good gas mileage. Also I have some Exhaust Parts so I could do was is needed on the back end from Bumper to Bumper. This as well as some other work is needed for now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts