Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having problems with the dash in my 97 EL Futura. What will happen, is the dash will completely black out every now and again while driving and it also takes a couple of mins for it to turn on after the car is started!! Can't really isolate it to hot or cold, day or night, headlights on or off etc... The only mod I have done to the dash is add that wire for the trip computer. Could this be the culprit??

Also, last night when it did it, the trans got stuck in 2nd, slipped into neutral, but then when the dash came on again it went straight back into gear. Weird hey?? Does the dash talk to the trans??

Thanks for any help

Matt

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Matt,

You probably have an earthing problem. There is an earth point near the middle of the dash somewhere, check it out. Also take off that wire you added and see if the fault still occurs.

cheers

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, might have been a little unclear in what i said. I don't mean the whole dash, just the instrument cluster. I'll check the earth like you said, and see how i go.

Thanks for the prompt reply!

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any more idea's guys? CHecked the earth, and disconnected the trip computer wire, and it still does it. Only problem is that everytime it blanks out, it does some weird shit with the gearbox. It kinda slips into neutral or something...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts