Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new steel crank is fitted and the bottom end tied together by the fitment of a stud girdle to tie the mains together. The full story of this stage of build is too long and tedious, but the letters ARP and other good stuff come into the equation.

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The good stuff is lined up. It's a pity all this is hidden once the engine is built. Looks nice - manufactured by SCAT, these rods are H-beam with rather nice looking pistons! Goes well with the steel crank and everything is supplied as a matched kit. The trick here is the work done by Ash and Rob to ensure sizing and tolerances are correct during the build (the difference between quality and cheap).

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Speak of the devil - here's Ash installing the stuff into the bottom end. Ash moonlights with FTR and apparently knows a bit about these engines - just how much is anyone's guess :D
Rob is taking the photo and directing the action like any good boss (actually, he's a bit hands on too and both did the work on my engine).

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bottom end pretty much completed - one 5.7 Windsor ready for the good heads and stuff Tickford fitted previously.....

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The engine getting closer to completion - heads on. The build plate shows that AJ Lindara built this engine, however normally Herrod fit their own build plates and paint the rocker covers to match their own engine spec. Aussie Pete decided on stealth and so everything stays standard.

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One 347 Windsor ready to install back into the XR8. The beauty here is it looks stock and no-one knows better. There are some differences to the trained eye like the block is actually fully painted, the sump is modified to take the stud girdle and powder coated, and if you so desire the rocker covers and badging from Herrods.

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And the final result?

Around 260kW with no other changes, heaps of torque and smooth flexibility. Basically an awesomely flexible engine and testament to the arguement for big displacement V8s. Watch out for the Tickford strokers because if they drive anything like this, HSV are in for some serious competition.

If you have an XR8 or T-Series and you are thinking about the Stroker - think no more. It's worth every single cent and far superior to the hotted up 5 litres I've driven. Just DO IT!

G

·
0 Posts
Aussie Pete said:

If you have an XR8 or T-Series and you are thinking about the Stroker - think no more. It's worth every single cent and far superior to the hotted up 5 litres I've driven. Just DO IT!
How much is it again?

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gtho4 said:

How much is it again?
Around $7k with the girdle etc. Consider the girdle to be a necessity......

·
100% Speeding (when safe)
471 Posts
I have to say i am impressed. So the stroker just makes the piston move further. Why dont they do that in the first place.

How big could you stroke a straight 6 4.0L. Or is that at the end of its stroking abilities? I remember talk of a 4.2 litre twin cam a while ago from ford. just talk I know, but maybe it can be stroked. Does anyone know?

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Great reading Pete, hmmm i'm inspired. Hmmm if EF_GuY can get an EL Series 2 and spend 7k on stroking it. Geez one of the fastest EL's around i say. Bye Bye GTS-R i say. :D :D

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Yeah I dont think you could stroke the 4.0L any more than what it already is (93.2x99.3) but you may be able to bore it to 4.2L?

·
Administrator
5,090 Posts
Thanks Aussie Pete that was brilliant to see and I reckon worth every penny.As you say it is very hard to beat large engine displacement.I thought keeping everything looking as stock as possible was a good idea too,something i would do myself.Have fun.

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm sick of laminge and his "Mine is better than yours" attitude. So, the engine is coming out again........ I think the heads are a good start :nuts: :nuts: Rob, you have my permission to touch it up buddy!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Hehehe

You have got you work cut out if you are trying to beat him in size.

Don't care what you do provided you start another thread with the same quality of this one. One of the highlights on this forum of recent times. Really enjoyed it

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will see if we can get photos again.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts