Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
The SparkleHunter™
Joined
·
10,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys..

Well it's finally happened.. the Festy is the main source of transport for yours truely from now on.. Took her for a drive last night and again this morning and I have noticed a slight problem. It appears the missus has been standing on the anchors a bit too much 'cause when you whack your foot on the brake there's a shudder through the steering wheel. Not a real bad one but there's a shudder none the less..
I know the car needs a wheel balance and alignment but I'm thinking the front discs may need to be machined as well.. As I've said before I'm not a real guru when it comes to fixing cars but I was hoping to get your opinions on what the little shudder could be..
 
G

·
If the steering shudders only when applying the brakes it would be warped discs... definately have them machined.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,750 Posts
There are tow ways of having the discs machined. Ford dealers seem to want to machine them insitu. I have never seen this completely fix the problem. I had this happen on a couple of falcons and IMO get the rotors removed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,112 Posts
How many K's on the festy? Is it a 1.3 or 1.5, manual or auto(shudder)? Depending on the model the front discs will be either solid or vented. From memerory once the solid ones got a few k's on them getting them machined was out of the question. DBA make replacement discs for them at ok prices which in my mind is the better way to go, and there are drilled and slotted ones for the festy, if they are the same as Mazda 121.
 

·
T5 Expert Operator
Joined
·
6,540 Posts
yeah definitly the go is to machine them of the car, makes the pads seat in better too, hence better braking. Dunno how they machine the discs on the car. :confused: :confused:
 

·
The SparkleHunter™
Joined
·
10,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FTEfan said:
How many K's on the festy? Is it a 1.3 or 1.5, manual or auto(shudder)?
'99 model.. 22,000k's 1.3 ltr manual.. drive away with free windows deal.. feels like a simple machining of the discs will do the job... hope so anyway!!.. :rolleyes:
 

·
T5 Expert Operator
Joined
·
6,540 Posts
Ford Man,

Mate why didn't you tick the option of the "big block" motor the 1.5 when you bought it. :p :p :p :p

Yeah about the brakes machining would be the deal, i'm 99% sure that it would cure the shudder problem. Oh yeah remember to bed the brakes in by not braking too hard for the first 100 or so km.
 

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
Joined
·
7,777 Posts
Machining ON the car is better for FWD - that way the discs are machined to the runout of the rotors.

DBA discs for a Camira (vented) were $49 each brand new. Why bother machining?????? The Festiva discs must be cheaper.....
 

·
The SparkleHunter™
Joined
·
10,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DONUT KING said:
Heh won't you need to upgrade the Braking system when you bolt on the turbo?!?! :D :D :D :D :D :D
That's going on the Laser when we buy it with the XR8.. The deals you have to do to get a nice car.. Chicks mate.. fair dinkum!!!.. :D
 

·
The SparkleHunter™
Joined
·
10,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
EF_Falcon_GuY said:
Mate why didn't you tick the option of the "big block" motor the 1.5 when you bought it. :p :p :p :p
Basically came down to $$$ for the house mate.. Otherwise we'd have a nice zippy little 1.8 laser in the garage.. :(
 

·
The SparkleHunter™
Joined
·
10,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aussie Pete said:
Why bother machining?????? The Festiva discs must be cheaper.....
To be honest I dunno mate.. just a thought I had.. :confused:
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
5,170 Posts
Unless you want to do everything at once ,it could be worth doing the wheel balance and alignment and susp joint check first and see if this cures prob if not then machine disc's.22000k's doesn't seem long to have buggered the disc's tho you did mention they get a hard time.Just a thought and chance of saving a few bucks if they don't need machining.Any worn joints or rubbers or alignment can sometimes cause funny things to happen under braking.Or maybe I'm just being a tight wad.Hehe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,750 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
Machining ON the car is better for FWD - that way the discs are machined to the runout of the rotors.

DBA discs for a Camira (vented) were $49 each brand new. Why bother machining?????? The Festiva discs must be cheaper.....
Has nothing to do with FWD. The machine they use is no where near good enough to get the job done right. Machining rotors should be done off the car no matter what. I made the mistake once and will never do it again. The biggest mistake people make is not replacing the pads once the discs have been trued up.
 
G

·
Big Block Ford said:
Unless you want to do everything at once ,it could be worth doing the wheel balance and alignment and susp joint check first and see if this cures prob if not then machine disc's.22000k's doesn't seem long to have buggered the disc's tho you did mention they get a hard time.Just a thought and chance of saving a few bucks if they don't need machining.Any worn joints or rubbers or alignment can sometimes cause funny things to happen under braking.Or maybe I'm just being a tight wad.Hehe.
Isn't 22000k's seem low for balljoints and rubbers?
One other thing is it possible for discs to warp when really hot while driving through a puddle?
 

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
Joined
·
2,524 Posts
Just speaking of ball joints, The lower ball-joints on my 86 XF have never been changed. Not something you see everyday hey.
They are on the agenda though, they have started to play up.
Mind you 240,000k's before a change, not bad considering that ball joints are normally the first thing to go.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
5,170 Posts
gtho4 said:


Isn't 22000k's seem low for balljoints and rubbers?
One other thing is it possible for discs to warp when really hot while driving through a puddle?
Yes but he mentioned it needed alignment and balance which means check for wear or damage first.Could have done some curb whacking.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top