Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is better, 1 12" 1100wrms sub or 2 12" 500wrms subs? Reason i ask is i have 2 pioneer 12" 500wrms subs (last years model with gold centre cone) but i was thinking of getting an Audiobahn flame q 12" 1100wrms (thats what it says they are rated at on their website). I have been quoted a damn good price on the audiobahn sub but was wondering if 2 will be better than 1.
Any opinions?

Thanks

Nathan

·
Fords biggest Freak
663 Posts
IMO, I would stick with the 2 Pioneer's. Better name brand and probably alot better built. And just because the Audiobahn sub is rated higher doesn't mean it will go harder. As your amp is what feeds the power. If you can only feed 500watts to the Audiobahn sub, then it is only running at 500watts, which is equal to one of the Pioneer subs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
When you ask which set-up is going to sound better, could you tell us a bit about the amplifier that is going to be running the sub(s)?

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
Neither of those subwoofers will handle more than 200w at 20hz anyway (very few can). The power rating is a thermal rating of the voice coil and is excursion limited in both units.

Another thing to consider is that 1000w is only 3dB louder than 500w.
2 woofers also have superior coupling with the air space around it as you have twice the cone area. That is, for the same given input 2 woofers move 1/2 the distance than a single woofer to produce the same SPL and lower THD and IMD.

You would be far better off with 2 units.

Rick.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The amps i have for the pioneer subs are pioneer GM-X962. I think they are arond 380 rms each. If i got the audiobahn sub i was going to get one of their amps which is rated 1000 rms. Looks like i will stick with what i have.

·
Registered
7 Posts
1 audiobahn will kill 2 pioneer 12's the things are made pure for competition ,

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
2Loud said:
1 audiobahn will kill 2 pioneer 12's the things are made pure for competition ,
And how precisely is that going to happen?
Do you know the linear X-max and efficency of the drivers in question?

Rick.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Soxx said:
Another thing to consider is that 1000w is only 3dB louder than 500w.
Hey Rick, with all due respect as you obviously know what you're talking about champ, you might just want to make sure that in the same breath you state that you mention that the 3db increase is in kinetic energy, not actual volume. As we all know being a logrithmic ratio, in theory 5000 watts in twice a loud as 500 because it's an index of 10 (as it's squared). :D

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
Yep, that's correct, a doubling of SPL (10dB) needs 10 times the power, and double the power only gives 3dB more SPL, which is insignificant.

Email sent.

Rick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts