Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Subaru have issued a warning to owners that any modifications being made could and most likely will void warranties. The announcement came after the discovery that minnor exhaust modifications were found to have been the cause in 3 turbo failures.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
They already look at you if you lunch a WRX gearbox, or stuff the crossmember. Glad my Suby is out of warranty, by 9 years!

·
Administrator
5,088 Posts
HSE2 said:
Subaru have issued a warning to owners that any modifications being made could and most likely will void warranties. The announcement came after the discovery that minnor exhaust modifications were found to have been the cause in 3 turbo failures.
I think modification of twin turbo models can cause prob's.

·
Ford Member
1,054 Posts
Apparently theres not too many probs with APS or any of the more experienced companys and i think they cover your warranty anyway but the trouble has been with some of the smaller places. Cant wait to see the aftermarket outputs that APS does for AV turbos.:D

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
DR XR said:
Apparently theres not too many probs with APS or any of the more experienced companys and i think they cover your warranty anyway but the trouble has been with some of the smaller places. Cant wait to see the aftermarket outputs that APS does for AV turbos.:D
Yeah i'm definitly excited for the AV trubo's, think of the mods that can be done with a real engine 4.0L Inline 6 instead of a 2.0L 4 despite it's a boxer.

Can't wait...:cool:

·
Australian Falcon Member
663 Posts
Man, just think what a boost in pressure would do for power at the rear wheels.. another 5 or 10 psi, and theres 235rwkw for you to go leave some black lines at Coles!

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
HSE2 said:
My guess is that the Subaru WRX is prone to problems as the factory boost is already at 12psi, and modifiers are windin them up to 14psi or 16psi. Apparently on turbo cars boost levels of 14psi or higher requires forged pistons.

Thats the reason WRX's are so quick cause it's running high boost stock. I remember the earlier STi's were havin a few problems.
Thats why for me if Skyline even in GTS-T is better it's only running 6-7psi and is quicker than a stock WRX. Once again power of the Inline 6 engines can't beat it, unless it's an 8 ofcourse.
;) ;)

·
Administrator
5,088 Posts
Re: Re: Subbie warranty warning to owners

EF_Falcon_GuY said:

My guess is that the Subaru WRX is prone to problems as the factory boost is already at 12psi, and modifiers are windin them up to 14psi or 16psi. Apparently on turbo cars boost levels of 14psi or higher requires forged pistons.

Thats the reason WRX's are so quick cause it's running high boost stock. I remember the earlier STi's were havin a few problems.
Thats why for me if Skyline even in GTS-T is better it's only running 6-7psi and is quicker than a stock WRX. Once again power of the Inline 6 engines can't beat it, unless it's an 8 ofcourse.
;) ;)
EF To be honest I don't know the boost pressure of the WRX but 12psi sounds high.I thought they were only around 7.If you want to boost to high figures like above 14 psi then you need good fuel as well.

·
2004 BA XT Falcon Ute
84 Posts
Big Block Ford, EF is right, the stock boost is around 12 psi or so.

·
Administrator
5,088 Posts
mangrovejack said:
Big Block Ford, EF is right, the stock boost is around 12 psi or so.
Ok as EF said it leaves room for problem's if you crank up boost levels too much above those levels.The STi would handle more as the engine is a fair bit tougher.I had read tho where some of the STi RA's had caused prob's in Aus cause of your fuel.

·
100% Speeding (when safe)
471 Posts
I have a friend with a Volvo 740 Turbo, he just had the turbo boosted to 11 psi. 12 Psi is as far as the modifying place would recommend without damaging the engine. Standard boost was 8. It made a huge difference and only cost $180. But to go further than this you need to put different parts in he engine, and thats where the subarus are sold standard, so more boost is bad.
In fact even standard they cant take being thrashed, as practically EVERY police WRX has been blown up, and yes these havent been modded. even though you may think they have.
This at least leaves the falcon DOHC turbo 6 to be boosted from 7 or so to 12 psi with no trouble. And it only costs $180. That should mean going from 230kw to about 280 or so for $180, good huh. That buys you a boost control that just lets the boost wind up a bit more. Further than that, you may have to spend money on the actual engine. But i suppose an intercooler may up the power a bit more without engine mods.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The Saab Vigen ran about 1 to 1.5 bar boost. Even the normal HPT Saabs run around 0.8 bar boost. Sorry can't remember what that is in psi but 1bar=15 psi. I saw a Mercedes Vito CDI van reach 1.2 bar boost at the rev limiter. Wonder why I replaced the turbo 6 weeks later? BTW the Viggen is known by Saab people as the "Unguided Missile"! Torque steer like you would never belive!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts