Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Shh i'm huntin more power
1,764 Posts
AusXH said:
I'm lookin at getting subs for the XH.

I'm thinkin of either getting two 400W 10"s or a single 500W 12".

What do reckon would sound better with four 250W 6x9"s?
I'd go 2 10". It all depends on what kind of music you like to listen to though too. 10" are more acurate and can provide tighter bass...

·
ST170ish
610 Posts
u knew that I'd answer...Hehehe

Yo' seeming you've got 2 sets of 6X9's(ya like loud..!) U will need as much cone area you can get so go for the 2 10's ya got plenty of room in that pano for the boxes...got a amp to drive the subs?
If it was me I'd sell the 6X9's(sorry)and buy some decent coaxial speakers or some splits to go up front and the single 12...mmmm more amps!
Depends what U want sound quality or loud.
Jase_ELXR8 afraid thats an old wifes tale...

·
Powered by HAD
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: u knew that I'd answer...Hehehe

rolfy72 said:
Yo' seeming you've got 2 sets of 6X9's(ya like loud..!) U will need as much cone area you can get so go for the 2 10's ya got plenty of room in that pano for the boxes...got a amp to drive the subs?
If it was me I'd sell the 6X9's(sorry)and buy some decent coaxial speakers or some splits to go up front and the single 12...mmmm more amps!
Depends what U want sound quality or loud.
Jase_ELXR8 afraid thats an old wifes tale...
hehe, i had to wait for your reply ;)

Yeah, i'd probably prefer the 12" cause initially it's cheaper, and i can always add another.

Yeah i got a 500W 4 channel amp... that should do i reckon.

Why do you reckon i should sell the 6x9's? They were cheap and sound bloody excellent...

I was also thinkin too rolfy that if you don't want one of your prototypes, i'd think of buying one. I don't need it to be water/weather proof cause it's a pano :).

thanks for the input too Jase, i still havn't decided which way to go....

·
Blue Blooded Ford Man
406 Posts
Not a problem. Two tens will be your best bet.

Wire your two subs in parralel, and bridge them across the channels on your amp.
If you are unsure of how to "bridge and wire in parralell" ask the car audio store to draw you a wiring diagram and set up your amp, they can do that on the counter before you install.
If you have a panelvan or a sedan face your subs away from the front of the car, this will give the bass a deeper sound and a slight volume increase. If you have a ute or u would rather see the subs, face them in and you will feel a lot more vibration.
I believe this would be the best setup for you and gives quite a good result for the money spent. :)

·
Powered by HAD
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
XR8XTC said:
Not a problem. Two tens will be your best bet.

Wire your two subs in parralel, and bridge them across the channels on your amp.
If you are unsure of how to "bridge and wire in parralell" ask the car audio store to draw you a wiring diagram and set up your amp, they can do that on the counter before you install.
If you have a panelvan or a sedan face your subs away from the front of the car, this will give the bass a deeper sound and a slight volume increase. If you have a ute or u would rather see the subs, face them in and you will feel a lot more vibration.
I believe this would be the best setup for you and gives quite a good result for the money spent. :)
Any special reason why you reckon i should wire em up in parallel and bridge em??? I got a 4 channel amp...

Wiring it up wouldn't be a problem either...

And it's a pano too :)

·
Super Moderator
3,764 Posts
Yeah I'd go the 12" with beef lettuce and Tomato on the Parmasan & Oragano roll from Subways. Sorry but it was that or the U Boat answer,. :)

·
Australian EB Fairmont Ghia Member
1,151 Posts
I agree with rolfy.. ditch the 6x9's.. you think they sound good but it could sound better.
I got Pioneer bass bullet splits up front... excellent speakers.. cheap too.
6x9's should only be used for fill (if you run subs).
As far as subs go.... 10's are crap compared to 12's.... ive heard all the myths from so called experts... 10's are tighter blah blah blah 10's give you more punch toss toss toss.
A friend of mine has about $6000 invested in his system.. 90% of it Soundstream (very expensive)... he has 10's... and his amps are about $1600 each.... guess who's sounds better.... not the girly 10's thats for sure...
best $2000 i ever spent.

·
au2 forte
139 Posts
If you are after volume, 2x10 will be louder than 1x12 (assuming the subs are from the same product line and the amp has enough power). Just wondering about the 4ch amp, 500w is that the RMS rating?? (not PEAK power yeah?)

I assume the 6x9's will be giving you nice midrange bass, but the imho 12's will be able to go lower to give that nice deep sub bass. Also most good 12" subs available today can keep up with punchy bass without problems.

Your best bet is to listen to a few 10's/12's and decide which type of bass you prefer. Then if you need more volume, you can keep adding additional amps/woofers as required later on.

·
Poor IT guy
506 Posts
Have you thought about a 15" sub? For the price of 2 decent 10's you should be able to pick up a good 15" (about $300) and it will be louder.
It all comes down to taste, so listen to many different subs before you spend.

·
Blue Blooded Ford Man
406 Posts
The reason you bridge the subs is for more power. No need to run subs in stereo.
As for the comments on 6x9's if u have the money to buy better speakers do it, same situation with if u have enough money go for two twelves or like myself two 15's.
The equation for subs is simple (no matter what anyone tells you)
More cone area = more volume with same amp.
Smaller subs will always be able to run faster than larger subs when in the same size box.
Remeber subs sound TOTALLY different when in the shops display cabinet than what they will in a box in ya pannelvan.
If u would like me to reakonmend some good 10 inch subs that give good sound and volume for price i can..

If u are thinking you wanna go a little crazy?!
Amp up all your 6x9's on one four channel and on your other four channel amp run 4 10's.
If you put tens in a box slightly larger than manufactor reakonmended and face em backwards in ya panelvan, they will be able to run nice and low when ya cruising to a bit of Snoop Dogg but they will also be able to keep up with that fast double bass kick drum on your metallica album!!
Btw lucky you having a panelvan, WICKED for subs!!!

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
It's this talk about size is relatively meaningless, if you don't consider the type of music and it's production that you're playing.

·
Not Fast Enough, Dammit!
302 Posts
With the talk about bridging you amp, you might want to check that it is capable of running at a lower ohmage, ie 2Ohms or even 1ohm.
If its not you may ru into amp problems. In terms of what subs to get I would go with two 10's depending on what you amp can handle. The best thing to do is to listen to some setups b4 you make your decision.

·