Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
CAM etc !!! I like those Webbers... As you know....

·
Registered
670 Posts
How big to you want to go in cam? what revs do you want make power at? visit crow cams and have a look at their web site! www.crowcams.com i think.

·
Registered
992 Posts
The hardest decision is how much compromise you are willing to put up with. You are only a roller cam swap away from 500hp plus.

My cam (roller) is smaller than yours, because i purposely wanted a nice smooth streetable car. For example, the Cortina had a big cam and was 15 minutes of the best ride of your life, closely followed by the worst 15 minutes. I didnt want that with the Tiger. It still makes similar power to yours though, due mainly to the cam. As the Tiger is so light (around 1,000kg), it doesnt miss the few extra HP that a bigger cam would have given.

I did the roller conversion in the Tiger. Its a Comp Cams XE roller cam and springs, with Crane lifters and Crow push rods. I have the engine photos but unfortunately they are on my computer at work. Let me know if you want to see them and i will post them when i return.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok...................If you think my engine can make 500hp with just a roller cam swap let me know the cam specs,as it spends minimal time on the road I cant see too many problems.
Oh and my mates gen 3 gets a bit too close to me on the track so whats the compromise????????????

·
Registered
992 Posts
The trade off is the the more power you make, the more bottom end you lose. It will feel as strong as grandma's gemini cruising around. It will be a pig! How much are you willing to put up with? What is your diff ratio?

ps
I have just posted my engine specs in the car for sale section.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Good stuff - you are in business!

Your engine will support a nice [email protected] solid roller which will make nice power up to about 7,200+. That about as high as i would go given it is OCCASIONALLY street driven. I did warn you that it will be a pig!

Back in the "old days", a couple of mates were running 10.6 in Capris and Cortinas with similar solid flat tappet cams

·
Registered
992 Posts
Give Ray at Crow cams a call. Make sure you have your head flow sheet on hand.

The only thing i can see holding you back is your lowish comp. (10-1 from memory). You will probaby end up with something like 255/260/110 with lift to match your head flow (high .600's i presume). Narrower lobes like 106 will make you more peak power, but will narrow your power band, which you dont really want in a multi purpose car. You can go even bigger than this, but it will become a trailer queen.

As you have a good foundation - especially the heads, as Bernie really knows his stuff, I wouldn't be suprised if you end up with 550hp or more, PROVIDING you are willing to rev it.

I'm not a cam expert so like i said, call Ray and take his advice. Like the famous Ed Curtis, he will grind you a custom cam to suit your engine's specific specs. You wont be disappointed.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
YES get a cam around a 351 as the capacity is almost the same.. With those Webber's you will have better low down torque due to single runners imo.. But you can still go too far..Check out www.corral.net forums and search there, this question gets asked almost as much as "exhaust systems" here...o/k ? hth...

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
What sort of cam are you using?? Std roller type? Flat tappet or small base circle roller???

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Have you thought of retarding cam ? Say 2* ??

·
Registered
992 Posts
That will only move the powerband around, not give him any more power.

A new cam with more lift is needed to to match the flow of his ported Dart heads, also a bit more duration to allow power to 7,200-7,400 rpm.

More lift = more flow
More revs = more power

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
ok here come the questions................With a cam of lets say [email protected],what gear would i cruise around in at 60k's? 3rd or 4th?

What do you recon the idle speed would be? (now is about 800rpm)

At what rpms would the power roughly start?

Could you please explain this to me......."You want to hit peak lift twice in the curve, not just once".

·
Registered
992 Posts
347 said:
ok here come the questions................With a cam of lets say [email protected],what gear would i cruise around in at 60k's? 3rd or 4th?

The same as you are now

What do you recon the idle speed would be? (now is about 800rpm)

Around 1,000 with a vacuum tank for your brakes as you wont have enough idle vaccum.

At what rpms would the power roughly start?
A flat tappet cam has a 3,000rpm powerband, a roller has 3,500. Work backwards from the maximum revs you are willing to spin it to. The more revs, the more power, and you have the engine combination to support it.

Could you please explain this to me......."You want to hit peak lift twice in the curve, not just once".
If for example your heads hit peak flow at .650, putting a cam in with .650 would only be open at peak lift once for a micro second when the valve reaches .650. Putting a cam in with say .670, you would hit the head flow peak once when it opens past .650 (on the way opening to .670) and then it would hit .650 for a second time as it closes down again down from .670. This all assumes that your heads arent hitting peak flow outside of a streetable lift range, which is doubtful. What are your head flow numbers?

I dont know if i managed to explain that clearly enough........

1 - 20 of 27 Posts