Ford Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Now boostless :-(
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well more likely than not the rings are gone in my supercharged AU. I'll be getting the motor pulled apart in the next few weeks and probably fitting new rings and pistons.
What are good quality rings and pistons to get?
I was thinking maybe some moly rings and some Hypereutectic lower compression pistons.

My car is fitted with a 9psi Poweredyne blower, do you think i should worry about lowering the compression?
If so what should i lower it to? Au's came out as 9.6:1 compression didn't they?

Finally, what else do you think i should do while the engine is apart? ie. balancing etc.

Thanks for any help.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Talk to your machinist ?? May have to mill centre of piston out 1mm or so..Check out the ACL race series...On forced fed motors they usually have slightly more clearance on piston/ bore and bigger gap on top ring...Soungs like you have suffered from detonation....So lowering compression is advisable...

·
Registered
529 Posts
When the motor is opened up it should be visable what has gone wrong (or not been done right).

I would use file fit rings if you know what you're doing, the gaps will then be exact.

If you stuff around with the compression and the ecu is not aftermarket and only chipped you will require a custom calibration. Are you willing to take this into account, if you are what do you what from the motor after the rebuild? There's lots you can do to a disassembled motor.

·
Now boostless :-(
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not ford said:
When the motor is opened up it should be visable what has gone wrong (or not been done right).

I would use file fit rings if you know what you're doing, the gaps will then be exact.

If you stuff around with the compression and the ecu is not aftermarket and only chipped you will require a custom calibration. Are you willing to take this into account, if you are what do you what from the motor after the rebuild? There's lots you can do to a disassembled motor.
The car has a Stinger EMS computer in it.
Basically i just want the car to go hard and be reliable, i'm not chasing massive horsepower, i just want the motor to run well, smoothly and be reliable.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
I would have thought with blown mill all this ecu stuff like you said about tuning would have gone long ago...Stinger is o/k..
All rings should be "checked" weather file fit or not...
Some material could be taken from combustion chamber to lower compression as well.But its better done from piston.Thicker gasgets can help, but it interfares with quench and CAN cause detonation even though it lowers comp...

Check out the EA 3.9 engines pistons as they have bigger dish in them..Check though as the AU have longer rods and gudgeon pin placing could be different??

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,751 Posts
Don't suppose you got any warranty with this? Not from Falkeen, but from the guys who did the install/tuning of the supercharger?

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
I doubt it...Too many variables

·
Registered
529 Posts
If you want more reliable power I would go the file fit rings, balance, torque plate hone, port the head, and custom cam.

This should (hopefully) give you more power which could then allow you to turn the boost down a little if you wanted for more durability.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
What size injectors are you running? Has the ems / engine been tuned with wide band o2 senser???

·
Registered
529 Posts
I think the white's are the std AU's which I'm pretty sure are 24lb too, I would not recomend these for boost. You'll max these out at 220rwhp ish. Look at your pistons and plugs, if its run lean under power they'll be tell tale signal on these. Since you're rebuilding the motor chuck in some 30lb or larger injectors. Even if the engine didn't lean out the current injectors it will be running near or on their limit.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
24's with 6 Lp will max out at 4.500 with turbo with E.B mill...
I think that was the trouble too lean and detonation..I wouldn't be surprised if the engine has cracked rings or anealed through heat ..

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
Check out the EA 3.9 engines pistons as they have bigger dish in them..Check though as the AU have longer rods and gudgeon pin placing could be different??
correct - unless you put in pre-au rods then the pistons will smash into the head :s6:

but im not sure that pre-au rods will fit, you are better off getting dished pistons instead of messing with rods, AU have a better rod/stroke ratio so they rev harder.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts