Ford Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Australian Ford Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got myself a ED Fairmont Ghia V8 with a new exhaust and headers and I want to know what would give the best bang for the buck. Spend $5-6k on a supercharger or on new intake, cam, heads etc...

what power gains and 1/4 mile can be expected??

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
Hi,

I would suggest getting the CAM, Heads, Manifold, Throttle body and MAF before getting a supercharger.

Also might want to consider a reprogrammable performance chip (such as the UniChip).

I recently did a Cam, roller rockers, ported and polished heads (already had extractors exhaust and unichip) and I gained 21rwkw (was 130, now 151)

Still have the stock Manifold, MAF and TB. Also - my extractors are too small for the exhaust ports - I need to get the big bore extractors. (1 5/8 primaries)

Currently running 15.0 on the 1/4 mile (this is with me driving though....) prior to the engine mods, my best was a 15.7
If I get the intake mods and big bore extractors, I should get another 15+ rwkw and hopefully another 0.5 secs (at least) off my 1/4 mile time.

·
Shh i'm huntin more power
1,764 Posts
XR8chic said:
Hi,

I would suggest getting the CAM, Heads, Manifold, Throttle body and MAF before getting a supercharger.

Also might want to consider a reprogrammable performance chip (such as the UniChip).

I recently did a Cam, roller rockers, ported and polished heads (already had extractors exhaust and unichip) and I gained 21rwkw (was 130, now 151)

Still have the stock Manifold, MAF and TB. Also - my extractors are too small for the exhaust ports - I need to get the big bore extractors. (1 5/8 primaries)

Currently running 15.0 on the 1/4 mile (this is with me driving though....) prior to the engine mods, my best was a 15.7
If I get the intake mods and big bore extractors, I should get another 15+ rwkw and hopefully another 0.5 secs (at least) off my 1/4 mile time.
Just remember though whatever you do needs to work together as a package. I was sold extractors that were too big and the wrong configuration for i what i wanted. Lost bottom end torque and fuel econnomy. A bigger T.B. and maf will have the same effect. 70mm tb is a bit of overkill and the new stroker with the 82mm is way too big and will gain heaps of bottom end with a smaller tb...

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
I say forget both. Start with the crankshaft, rods, and pistons! :rcool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts