Ford Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm looking at supercharging my '99 Taurus SHO. Here are some of the engine specs, in case you're not familiar:

Transverse-mounted DOHC 3.4L/207c-in. V8 @ a 60 degree angle / 10:1 Compression ratio / 235 hp @ 6,100 rpm / 230 ft.-lb. of torque @ 4,800 rpm / 4-speed automatic / FWD

In the past year, it's had the cams welded (if you know anything about the SHOs, you know this is a must, because of potention problems. This is just a preventive measure, it dosn't mean anything is wrong), a brand new transmision put in, and we're getting ready to replace the brakes. Other than those, the car is almost completely unaltered, as far as i know.

I was origionally looking at getting some minor mods to it, like exhaust or an intake or something, but for the SHO those are hard to come by. And then i started thinking i could get more out of it. Now i'm looking at supercharging. I wasn't sure if i'd go super or turbo, but i have yet to hear or a turbo'd V8 SHO, just because of the engine bay restrictions. Supercharging sounds easier and much more realistic.

The V8 is plenty strong, but at it's near-7000 RPM limit, it feels a bit stretched. I want to increase the torque band around the 4-6k range, and have upwards of 300+ hp near the limit. I'm not looking at having the most hp Taurus out there, I just want something more. If i'm only looking at a 70 hp increase, i could get away w/ a lower boost pressure, right? Would like a 6-8 psi blowere work, and would i have to lower the compression ration w/ that? Or would i need something higher like 10 or 11 psi?

I've heard of some people supercharging thier SHOs, but i don't know where to start. If anyone's got any ideas of where to start as far as how to descide what i need, what i should buy, where to get it, etc., that would be awesome.

Thanks a ton!
crazyates

·
Registered
288 Posts
it's a very difficult engine to supercharge because the belts are on the opposite side of the engine from the intake and there is very little underhood clearance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts