Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in gaining info on supercharging for my XR8.
What brand, what to look for, what not to do that sorta stuff

K

·
0 Posts
HSE2

As Paul says, hard to go wrong with those brands. Whatever you do, stay away from Powerdyne. I've read too many horror stories to trust their setup.

Of course I could try to recommend a turbo setup instead...

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats what I have been told too about Powerdyne but it is my understanding that both Herrod and Capa are using this unit as are APS.
Vortech is another option but I also hear that this unit can cause an increased engine failure rate.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Get the Incon 1200Hp kit for the 302 Windsor :p Only runs at like 25psi too :D

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Thats Incon Twin Turbo...

P

·
0 Posts
IF NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE TO ENGINE OTHER THAN BLOWER. BOOST SHOULD BE AROUND 6POUND.WITH F.M.S[FUEL MANAGEMENT]INRICHEMENT AND OR MUCH BIGGER INJECTORS.CAN GO HIGHER,WHEN THERE IS RETARD CONTROLER ON BOOST.ENGINE WILL GRENADE OTHERWISE,BURNING PISTONS,HEADS ETC.JUST LIKE THE EARLY DAYS OF TURBO'S.HAS TO BE DONE AS COMPLETE KIT.BUT WE ALWAYS ASK FOR MORE,DON'T WE?

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Paul are you saying most motors will stand 6psi of boost without detremental effects to the engine
Please correct me if I am wrong!

P

·
0 Posts
Basicaly yes.Ford in the states run centrifical blowers on there trucks and in there cataloge thats what they run with warrenty.The 4.6 o.h.c the same.Buy Mustangs and Fast fords from your newsagent.I do alot of reading,studying,planning[dreaming].Imagine buying a Ford here blower with warrenty.Saleen too.Though I guess G.M do!

P

·
0 Posts
Check out www.saleen.com like the s7?I wish I did better at school.Instead of playing with cars.The v8 here is in the Explorer u.s.

S

·
0 Posts
The Explorer V8 is or was, better than most pre EL series 2's here.. They had staggered upper and lower manifolds.

P

·
0 Posts
Yes you are right.They are similar to the Cobra set up.The top can be exchanged for the Gt40 inlet converting it from Cobra to Gt40.As in G.T.Can fit either way around. 65mm throttle body, more important 70mm maf.The std/early maf is 55mm for the maf.So no matter how big the T.B is the maf is only 55mm.Good for trucks hah!
Latter models much better.More h.p than Ford say too.Make sense?

S

·
0 Posts
Paul,
Yeah all upper "Ford" made manifolds turn around don't they, Just After market ones you have to suss out? I have a EL series1 pissed off the stock upper and lower for a rare Cobra-R upper/lower, 70mm MAF, 24psi squirters and 65mm Throttle. Although the US SVO throttle is giving me the willies, can't get it to fit cable right to get even half open throttle. Might order a Herrod 70mm. Least you know it will bolt straight to a XR8 cable.

B.T.W when I save my pennies I'm going to port heads or get some alloys and then a stroker crank... Then...blown it!!

P

·
0 Posts
I fitted the same 5 years ago.I fitted the cable entry from the front.Original came from back.Remember its on the other side to Mussy.I Cut & welded old bracket to t/b bolts looks original.Well?I had to cut that alloy cover.Wanted to look original for rego.Strongly suggest alloy heads Edelbroke,Holly,Twisted wedge,they come with all the good gear,possibly work out cheaper too.You know they work.Have U.S mag here were they put out 430 h.p with twisted wedge street strip inlet,heads,cam.Big block stuff!At 1500 to 6,000 rpm......

S

·
0 Posts
Paul,
if you wanted to stroke a engine would you have to be careful with Twisted Wedge heads and the right pistons...?

P

·
0 Posts
They work fine on mine std bottom end.They are actually desined to run big valves 2.02.Tell the machinist the whole set up in the first place.You can get twisted wedge pistons to enhance the heads.Then of course they would say that!They fit std so it's up to the machinist to check that out.Depends on cam too.No big trouble.Allways check clarence though

P

·
0 Posts
It sounds like I'm braging.Check out ''about us'' in general discusion.Month or two back. Having bought the rex the Henry has been left in the garage with the car cover on it.Needs about two days in panelbeaters getting detailed,nothing big.Carpark dents.The usual for a nearly ten year old car.[Gess allready it seems like yesterday that I bought it new from Furry.I'm in the process of teaching my young bloke how to drive.The handbrake is in a better location on the rex.Yea I can fear all you laughing?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts