• T5

Votes: 10 58.8%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Later on I will be modding my car.
Its still undecided as to what I will be doing, but either way I will need a new gear box.

Just wondering, since they are about the same price, which gearbox would you guys go for?

·
Australian Ford Member
1,120 Posts
Supra / Celica's been very popular on all sorts of modified cars for a long time. Don't see lots of people chasing T5's for other makes.

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also does anyone know how much torque the Supra boxes can handle?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Depends on which Supra Gearbox your talking about, the Turbo ones can handle a ****load of power, something like 600Hp/650Nm??Probably more...
But they're pretty damn rare, and very expensive. Plus youve got to find a conversion kit and that wont be cheap either, and a decent clutch.

Some people will try to flog off a Normally Aspirated Supra box which would be lucky to be stronger than a T5.

A better option would be to get a T56 from a wreck LS1 Commodore or something.

Either way, your looking at some large amounts of $$$$

From memory Laminges T56 conversion cost $8k all up with a brand new Gearbox??

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I was asked the same question by my GF's brother who owns a VK. I then asked Rod Hadfield. This is his reply.

The Supra box is only a M21 replacement and not recommended for hard drivers. Some T5 boxes are stronger but $1500.00 won't even buy the box let alone the conversion. The turbo Supra box is unbreakable but the box costs $1800.00 plus the fitting kit which is approximately $750.00. This would be the one to go for as unlike the T5 they will last forever and can be easily overhauled.
Regards
Rod.

Castlemaine Rod Shop is now on the web.
See us at: www.rodshop.com.au
Hope this helps.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
The Supra six speed is very rear but the five speed turbo is common[imported] but make sure it is a turbo box as said!!. less than $8k for a T5/6 speed with adapters from Mal Wood in Queensland..Read mm&ff the U.S motor mag blew a tremek in a new mussy cobra..in the States cheeez!! The t5 is getting cheaper second hand now and more available..

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
FTEfan said:
I was asked the same question by my GF's brother who owns a VK. I then asked Rod Hadfield. This is his reply.

The Supra box is only a M21 replacement and not recommended for hard drivers. Some T5 boxes are stronger but $1500.00 won't even buy the box let alone the conversion. The turbo Supra box is unbreakable but the box costs $1800.00 plus the fitting kit which is approximately $750.00. This would be the one to go for as unlike the T5 they will last forever and can be easily overhauled.
Regards
Rod.
If i'm not wrong the Supra box in the Twin Turbo RZ model is a German Getrag gearbox, that'll explain for it's steap price.

I'd go for the T5 rather than a modified M21.

·
Ford Member
1,156 Posts
As I understand it there are several boxes..
Turbo supra 6 speed = God box.. Pretty good, I wouldn't go so far to say it indestructable. Rare.. Hella expensive
5 speed turbo = pretty strong okay for many conversions
NA Supra 5 speed = okay box, remeber it came from a N/A 3.0L engine so torque handling is going to be limited (don't bolt this upto a supercharged stroker! maybe you can swap the internals )
Corona box alloy = blah! keep it away..

Some people sell corona boxes as supra boxes (they share certain bellhousing, bolt patterns and bits a peices, hard to tell them apart if you unexpert).

I know the skyline boys when they get to the breaking region of the RB26DETT getrag 5/6speed they just go whole hog and fit a Holliginger (RB25DET is only good for 400-500 hp userally if dragging). Concidering the prices some places ask for a geniune Supra 6 speed, a Holligner would not be out of the question.

Maybe you can find a box that fits and get stronger internals put in..

G

·
MADXF > Just stick with the T5 'cos lotsa ppl can't identify of tell you correctly what Supra box you are getting - you only find out when you break it and have to try finding parts to repair it and then the cost begins! Having said that I do have a Supra 5 speed in my Capri V6 and it's a gem - got it from Dellow Automotive in Sydney - guanteed rebuilt box - cost about 1400 bucks for the complete conversion kit.

·
Wildlife Photographer
1,413 Posts
The turbo Supra box is unbreakable
This is to my opinion an overstatement.
My mate has got a modified (T 04) *cough* VL Calais Turbo *cough*,
and he's on his second Turbo Supra Box because he blew a hole
in his previous one.

·
Registered
262 Posts
re

The T5 gearbox as used in 200kw & 220kw AU XR8 & T series Falcons has a torque rating of 330 lb/ft & the other earlier models are rated to 305 lb/ft according to ford. The gearing between the two boxes is the same & they are exactly the same on the outside & when I asked Ford what's the difference between the two T5's internally they couldn't tell me which means they are probably the same thing...If you do have to get a T5 get the AU V8 T5 if it fits (considering that you are not going to modify the shit out of your engine)...

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
ED_Falcon said:

This is to my opinion an overstatement.
My mate has got a modified (T 04) *cough* VL Calais Turbo *cough*,
and he's on his second Turbo Supra Box because he blew a hole
in his previous one.
6speed or 5speed?
Theres atleast one Supra I know of in the US running 9sec 1/4s @150mph with the stock 6speed...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Ive got a 5 speed turbo box behind a cleveland, no problems yet although I dont really abuse it. Easy way to tell if you own a turbo or non turbo supra 5 speed - the turbo box takes 3 litres of oil and the non- turbo box takes 2.5. Easy way to fill them is to pull off the shifter and tip the oil in the top with the filler plug out, when the oil runs out its full.

·
Registered
24 Posts
ebxr8240 is correct we can do the t56 for under $8000 but you can do the t5 for around $3000 and the supra for $2500. I'd stay away from the late model supras 1995 onwards as they used a getrag crap box like in the vt v6 commodores, anyone who has driven them will tell you they are garbage. But when it's all said and done its up to the diff ratio for the life of the transmission, a low diff is a must with a t5.

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
Look around some of the US sites, and you can find various strengthed T5 boxes that will handle more torque than standard.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts