Ford Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Fords biggest Freak
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I'm driving in my XF on less than perfect roads and there is a heap of little bumps everywhere, I get knock noises coming from the rear shockies. I've checked everything out in the boot to make sure nothing was just rattling and the spoiler is making any noise. Is it the bushes or bearings... or both?

Or even worse... is it time for some new shocks?

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Press hard on the rear quarter (any corner of the car you want to test), does the car bounce more than once, if so then new shocks are in order, i know mine are shot and they knock, $375 for new SLS shocks, i will live with knocking for now, :0)

Jason

·
Fords biggest Freak
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
only bounces the once, but doesn't make a knocking when I push on it, only when driving which makes me think that's it's the bushes or bearings.

·
Teh Pimp
311 Posts
Does it happen when you lift the car up and down from the either side at the rear? Lift her up and down a few times and see what happens. If that happens I would be thinking new shockies... Bushes or bearings usually make a squeak noise, not so much a knocking noise.

·
Fords biggest Freak
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nah, there's no noises when I bounce it like that. It only knock's when I'm driving. wierd!

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Freak - you have lowered susspension as well don't you, so if the shocks are a little worn, hence only knock under road conditions, I would guess the quick and simple shock test I suggested would be useless, unless they were completely stuffed.

Jason

·
Fords biggest Freak
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, it's lowered. the guards sit about 3/4" above the tires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts