Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the deed has been done... my baby has been given a new pair of legs and a hip replacement! :cool:

Koni Sports adjustable shocks, King superlow springs, camber kit at front, and general tidy up. Oh baby!! Can't believe the difference. :evil: :evil: :evil: She just sits and stays in the twisty stuff now, far more composed. It just feels so flat now, I can really turn the pace up into the apex compared to before with the tired originals. And under brakes it's superb now, no more lurching onto the nose and tail getting uncertain. Very predictable and very surefooted. I'm looking forward to taking her for an extensive blast up the mountains tomorrow! If anyone here knows the run from Mudgeeraba to Natural Bridge, and through to Murwillumbah, you'll know what I'm talking about :mmm:

She's sitting lower now too, and of course, looking meaner and sweeter than ever :damack: :thumbup:

And best of all, driving out of the place, there's a few nasty gutters to negotiate... she didn't scrape once!! :) :D

Mike

T

·
0 Posts
how much damage did this to your credit card mike.
my pig is starting to develop a squeak in the front, so it sounds like shock replacement time. as they say do the front and the back at the same time.

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doc - total was $1800, split as follows :
Koni Sports front shocks $600
Same rear shocks $400
Adjustable camber kit on front $140
Koni superlow springs front $150
Same rear $150
Rack end steering $40
Labour $320

Labour was a bit steep, but at least they did a thorough job on it.

HSE2 - yeah the fronts are running currently on 1 full turn from stiffest (which is actually the softest setting!), and the rears on a half turn. I'll be playing around with it a bit I reckon, but it's actually pretty good at the moment. :wink2:

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
The price tag you quoted Mike was why I went for the KYB/Lovells setup instead of Koni/Kings.

For $1400, I got

Front/Rear Superlow Lovells
Front/Rear Heavy Duty KYB Shocks
Adjustable Camber Kit
Reconditioned Steering, complete
Labour

I don't rememebr the breakdown exactly, but from memory the steering rack was $240.

Have you been over some nasty speed humps yet? That's a better test of scrapage. ;)

I've got the same squeak up front too Doc, but when I was last at the suspension joint, he said the front bushes were on their way out, but not dead like my rears (which incidently cost my another $280 installed 6 months later...) - might be shock replacement time, but maybe not:?:

Must agree on your description of the improvement Mike. Considering your car was factory built with a better setup, and probably hasn't done the 265000+ k's my EA had under the belt at the time (so my improvement was quite vast), it goes to show how much a difference that kind of susp. setup makes. :evil: :evil:

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah haven't had the worst speed bumps, only a few abrupt gutters. I can remember the ones at Bobbin Head are pretty bad, quite steep and high triangular speed bumps, down near the launching ramps. I think I'll be taking some very "creative" lines over those :confused: :eek: :wink2:

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
Hehehe that means it'll be like the speedhumps at uni, me and my mates are always looking for the best, most flattest line over the bastards of things.:)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Leaving a caravan park this morning in a mates Lancer GSR we scraped the rear diff and muffler, funny we didn't do it going in.

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're right! I've just got back from the aforementioned blast to Natural Bridge and back, and I can report vast improvements all round. Fantastic under anchors into the tight stuff, rock solid in the sweepers even with bumps & potholes, and much better turn-in. I hit the bump stops once, but that was coming back to Murwillumbah through the canefields - ie. long straits, dips that can catch you out :sleeping:

Can certainly feel the limits of the axle rear end going through the tightest stuff, even with no body roll there was plenty of squealing from the inside rear. :damack:

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Invigorating to say the least! :gok: Gotta love the harmony of smells after a good run - cooked clutch, steaming brakes, a bit of a potpourie of engine smells, and if you finish on a high note, that wonderful scent of burning rubber :eek: :thumbup: :cool:

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Mike, what is the idea behind the pole on the t series that opens when you access your web site (XR owners):cool:

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Mick, sounds like your is handling like t's on rails. Howz the ride quality, is there much sacrific??? Also how much did you end up lowering it by?

Yeah just had the custom right hand spring fitted to my car, seemed to level out the back of the car but the front is still a bit lower of the drivers side, oh well i'm gettin the feeling that i'm being to picky with my falcon. After all ford appaerently allowed 1cm of tollerance.
Anyway i'm happy with the way my car handles now.

What did you do with your steering, i mean theres a part that you mentioned that you changed where does it belong.

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HSE2 - I think it's gone now :wink2:

EF - Ride quality is quite good. A little firmer than standard, but hardly teeth shattering. And having the adjustables means that I can soften it up a bit for the long trips etc which is nice. Ended up lowering it 1.5" all round.

Yeah, the steering part was a replacement of the steering rack end. Can't tell you a whole lot about it, I was too busy talking to them about the springs etc. :)

I stiffened up the front end last night, gave it 1/2 turn stiffer. (For those interested, the shocks have a full turn of adjustment, so from the factory they are at their softest setting, and a full clockwise turn will get them to their hardest setting). So now both front and back are set at 1/2 turn. I'll be playing with them for a while methinks :WH: :eek: :wink2:

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
HSE2 - I think it's gone now

Why was it there in the first place? Not what you would call a general question to ask the public:wink2:

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just some fun being had by the webmaster I think.. :cool:

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Ok I thought you guys might have learnt something. There are some clued up people on that board of yours. Wish I understood more about what they were saying:(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts