Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I have 3 weeks holidays over x-mas.YAY!!!

Anyway, i wanna spend some time doing sume stuff on my car.
I have extractore/exhaust, cai, stg3 crow cam/valve springs/chip.
Goes ok but im wanting some head work done to finish it off.
After head work I think I will leave it at that.

This is what im looking at doing to the head: Shave(40 thou)
Port(390hp)
polish and swirl chambers
3 angle seat
angle off valves
thin gasket from jmm.

Does thin sound ok?
Also getting throttle body machined bigger, oh yeah.
There is some other stuff but just can think now, but you think it will work ok, trying to get everything to match and flow simular.

Cheers

·
Registered
847 Posts
Sounds all good, should be a very impressive result keep us all posted with piccies :), mock just uses the au steel head gasket as it is better and slightly thinner.

·
pR()rN_*
1,966 Posts
keep in mind that most development with this motor shows almost no power increase in uping the compression ratio.
The head porting will make the most differance provided it's done correctly.
Have fun!

·
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA
1,043 Posts
the higher compression dosnt really help power,

but you do get improved fuel economy, and mid range torque, due to the better fuel burn you get.

an interesting note, you take compression to 12.5 to 1 on these engines you actually loose 15 percent in power!!!!!

its to do with the compression offsetting the mechanical advantage of the stroke, when the piston is travveing up the bore.

cheers.joe.

·
pR()rN_*
1,966 Posts
yeah should be fine but I don't think you will end up with 10:1 because porting the swirl chamber will lower it a bit.
Don't aim for changing the compression ratio if it happens it happens.
aim for getting the best possible flow from your head and you'll be laughing.
Keep in mind though your ecu will freak out and the car may have idle problems once this is done.
May need to invest in either a eec tuner or a chip of some kind.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I gotta chiptourque chip.
They told me to give them a ring after i get the head done and tell them the flow and comp and they will reprog the chip for $100.

·
Registered
476 Posts
390hp from your head, far out, that not gonna be cheap

hey gm, i think it was you that had that head done up for the 300kw motor, what was that flowing? around that mark wasnt it, and didnt it cost a few grand???

getting over 360hp is bloody expensive....

and gm, didnt you once mention the std t/b flowed 400hp, if so, i wouldnt waste your time and money making it bigger

·
Hanging Around
1,209 Posts
Honing the t-body will most likely decrease bottom and mid range performance, due to the lower verlocity of the air.
This will also cause the ecu to read lower vacuum levels at a certain TPS position, which may cause fuelling issues.

Id say get the head done 1st, and run it with the std throttle body and connect a vacuum gauge, get it on the dyno at wot @ 5500rpm and see how much vacuum you are pulling, if it is close enough to 0 InHg then leave it.

·
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA
1,043 Posts
ebs_4l said:
390hp from your head, far out, that not gonna be cheap

hey gm, i think it was you that had that head done up for the 300kw motor, what was that flowing? around that mark wasnt it, and didnt it cost a few grand???

getting over 360hp is bloody expensive....

and gm, didnt you once mention the std t/b flowed 400hp, if so, i wouldnt waste your time and money making it bigger
the 300kw engine had a head flowing 425hp,
it took up around 3000 all up including cam and springs and what not, although wouldnt be too keen yo do it again, this last head took 8 months development work, and about 5 heads were sacrificed in the name of science.

360hp is easily attainable but any more and ur pushing it.

and yes the standard throttle is good till around 400hp, but taking it out 2mm (67mm) makes a good increase in power in the top end (4000rpm plus), but as 9psi eb said, you will loose bottom end, but the case with most power making mods, question is are you wiling to lose 10 nm at the bottom end for 10hp at the top end?

a ported throttle will most likey be needed tho on an cylinder that flows 400hp, you dont want to starve the head of air and its better to be safe then sorry.

cheers.joe.

·
Officially Bored with 347
3,584 Posts
SVO XR6 said:
I gotta chiptourque chip.
They told me to give them a ring after i get the head done and tell them the flow and comp and they will reprog the chip for $100.
Where do u get your chip reprog done?
the last time I got mine done I had to wait 6mths for a Guy from QLD to come over & "Burn" another module in realtime both on the dyno & on the road.
All up new Chiptorque module $275 exch, $400 for reprogramming
I get mine from AutoPetrol Injection in Myree

·
Registered
476 Posts
hey gm, one thing ive been thinking bout and it doesnt make sense is that you can get say a 40mm inlet port, considering its shape, with the valve, valve guide etc, to flow 400hp worth of air... and then its said that a 65mm throttle body, striaght through flow with only the shaft and butterfly in the middle will only flow 400hp...

·
pR()rN_*
1,966 Posts
umm perhaps it's because you have 6x 40mm inlet ports = 240mm vs the 65mm throttle body.

·
Looking in YOUR bathroom.
3,287 Posts
Percentage of HGL loss caused by friction (from volume, velocity and Mannings Roughness) per cubic unit of fluid reduces as the surface area/wetted perimiter ratio grows. That is one of the reasons how a 65mm TB can supply 6x40mm ports even though its crossectional area is less than the combined port volumes. You also have to relise not all 6 cylinders are being fed at the same time reducing the ultimate load on the TB's flow properties. (SIDE NOTE: The long stroke shor rod design is a contributing factor to the size of the E series TB's as they have to be able to flow large volumes of air quickly as the acceleration away from TCD is substantialy faster than say a long rod/shortstroke design.)

Also most of the restriction isnt due to the port total area rather its flow path and induced turbulance.

To see/understand this, investiagate compressable fluid flow in pipeworks (incompressable has similar propertys bar a few).

(hope that made an ounce of sence.)

·
Looking in YOUR bathroom.
3,287 Posts
Dam early work shift, my spelling is shocking!

all things being equal if all 6 cyl drew air at once to have a TB to flow 6x40mm ports it would need to be 102mm ID

·
Registered
476 Posts
Walkinshaw said:
You also have to relise not all 6 cylinders are being fed at the same time reducing the ultimate load on the TB's flow properties.
hey, im glad someone else is thinking, not jumping to conclusions like carazy did...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts