Ford Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've investigated replacing the sway bars on " Le Bateau", front and rear. I think its simple enough that even I could do it. Would anyone like recommend a maker they have tried and are happy with? How about thicknesses?

·
Registered
2000 grand marquis ls with handling package, magnaflow mufflers,dual exhaust, 3.55 rear axle
201 Posts
I've investigated replacing the sway bars on " Le Bateau", front and rear. I think its simple enough that even I could do it. Would anyone like recommend a maker they have tried and are happy with? How about thicknesses?
I would check out ADDCO sway bars

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
Have you checked your bushings first? Fresh stock or poly bushings along with trailing link bushings will restore handling using stock diameter sway bars. And, just for info only, do you have the HPP? If not, that would be the next step to better handling. If you are looking for flatter cornering, you might consider stiffer springs. You can find out which springs you have on your door VIN sticker and go from there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
R.S. W
This car only has 50000 miles so the bushings should be good. Of course, it still 17 years old so maybe the rubber has deteriorated. I'm going under there today so I'll check that out.
I do not have HPP so I'll check that out. Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you checked your bushings first? Fresh stock or poly bushings along with trailing link bushings will restore handling using stock diameter sway bars. And, just for info only, do you have the HPP? If not, that would be the next step to better handling. If you are looking for flatter cornering, you might consider stiffer springs. You can find out which springs you have on your door VIN sticker and go from there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I measured my sway bars. 15.26 mm on the back and 44.8 mm on the front. Yes, I measured twice with a mic. So this is both smaller and larger than I was suspecting. So it sounds like the front is so large it should serve ok and I should bump the rear up to like 21 mm? BTW bushings look solid. I would like to just replace the rear sway bar and leave the rods and bushing in place since they look good and feel super solid. Your thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
Besides flatter cornering, sway bars affect handling in ways not always suspected. Ideally you should be able to slide sideways with minor wheel correction, in other words, a completely neutral handling car. However, some drivers like to hang the rear out and steer with their right foot, called oversteer (that would be me), while others prefer a little understeer, or "push", because it's a little frightening when the rear of the car passes the front! A stiffer rear sway bar might increase oversteer by taking "bite" out of the rear. That's why I mentioned spring rates if you are looking for flatter cornering. Then when your spring rates are correct, you can adjust handling with the sway bar size and tire pressure. All of this is a little overkill for a CV, or is it? Not if you want the car to handle like YOU like it. It's YOUR car and you need to be confident in how it handles in an emergency or when you just want to lose that tailgating #[email protected]%%&, in a curve. Just FYI, I learned a lot about handling while road racing motorcycles, then later during track days racing Mustangs, 'till I went broke. Going fast was not too difficult, but braking (especially with bikes) and getting the handling right, was. So we always spent more time on suspension set up than on making horsepower. An evil handling car is a just a pain, but an evil handling motorcycle will kill you! Have fun, that's what this is all about! Let us know what you find out, I am still learning.

·
Registered
2000 grand marquis ls with handling package, magnaflow mufflers,dual exhaust, 3.55 rear axle
201 Posts
I measured my sway bars. 15.26 mm on the back and 44.8 mm on the front. Yes, I measured twice with a mic. So this is both smaller and larger than I was suspecting. So it sounds like the front is so large it should serve ok and I should bump the rear up to like 21 mm? BTW bushings look solid. I would like to just replace the rear sway bar and leave the rods and bushing in place since they look good and feel super solid. Your thoughts?
My 2000 grand marquis with the handling package has a 21mm rear ant sway bar. It handles great.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to AM and Baja for the feedback. I ordered a 25mm Addco rear sway bar from Summit Racing which they showed as fitting my MGM. They are back ordered so it will be a while. I'll post the results.

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
Thanks to AM and Baja for the feedback. I ordered a 25mm Addco rear sway bar from Summit Racing which they showed as fitting my MGM. They are back ordered so it will be a while. I'll post the results.
Let us know how it works!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The car is a 2004 MGM. So yesterday I finally got to install my new 25mm (1") Addco rear sway bar. So now I have a 45 mm on the front ( which was on the car when it came to me and may be stock?!) and 25mm on the rear. Installation was straight forward except for loosening the top nut on the links. I had to use a vice grips. Took her out for a bit of the twisties and I was pleasantly surprised at the flatness of the cornering. Big improvement. I didn't notice any over or under steer effect. Reactions in the turns were predictable and neutral. So my experience is this is a worthwhile and effective modification.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The car is a 2004 MGM. So yesterday I finally got to install my new 25mm (1") Addco rear sway bar. So now I have a 45 mm on the front ( which was on the car when it came to me and may be stock?!) and 25mm on the rear. Installation was straight forward except for loosening the top nut on the links. I had to use a vice grips. Took her out for a bit of the twisties and I was pleasantly surprised at the flatness of the cornering. Big improvement. I didn't notice any over or under steer effect. Reactions in the turns were predictable and neutral. So my experience is this is a worthwhile and effective modification.
Thanks for the update. I had a feeling the bigger rear bar would help the cornering otherwise why would ford put a bigger bar on the cars with the handling package.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts