Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got trouble code P0705 which indicated a problem with the Transmission Range Sensor circuit (PRNDL input), also known as the Neutral Safety Switch on my 2002 Ford Taurus. I cleared the trouble code, and a few days later while driving on the highway, it seemed like the transmission slipped out of drive into neutral. I had it towed because I could not engage drive or reverse. The mechanic thinks the transmission is shot, but he didn't see the Neutral Safety Switch trouble code because I cleared it. When I told him about it, he said that would not prevent the car from moving. My question is, would a faulty Transmission Range Sensor (Neutral Safety Switch) prevent the car from going into drive and reverse? The car starts normally in park. But when I shift to drive or reverse, the car doesn't go anywhere (as if it's in neutral). Also, just before this happened, I'm pretty sure the car dropped into one of the lower gears by itself because I was driving along and looked at the PRNDL indicator on the dash and it was in L, even though I was driving in D all along. But that could be my imagination and maybe I did accidentally put it in L instead of D.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Just to be clear, would that cause the transmission to stay in neutral and not move in drive or reverse?

·
Super Moderator
802 Posts
This is well documented with the early 4r70w’s (no not the same transmission but same problem). Usually its water intrusion in the wiring harness but the switch can go bad too and it usually leads to falling out of overdrive while cruising and neutralling out. Id replace the switch before replacing the transmission. Also make sure the marks on the switch are aligned. This can also lead to erratic shift behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
19,123 Posts
Obviously you " replace the switch before replacing the transmission " Make sure it is properly aligned / adjusted . Check shifter cable also This will give you an idea what's involved in replacing .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts