Ford Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all,

I just bought a 16 150 platinum and so far i love it. I am on SYNC 3 version 1.0. Tried downloading the update from the ford website after registering and putting my vin in. Download it and i have tried extracting the files to the computer, extracting to the thumb stick, tried it in EXFAT like the website says and then in Fat32 and still the same result. I have pictured the error message when transferring files to the thumb stick, and in which if i skip this i get a bad install file when putting in the truck.

·
Administrator
8,659 Posts
You'll need an external program like 7-zip or winrar

Windows built in unzipping program will not open this file type.

7-zip is open source and free.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. Update. used 7 zip and got this error while extracting. Extracted directly to the stick and then tried just to the computer and transferring. I tried Exfat and Fat32. This time i got installation ran out of space or was not compatible with this sync version.

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,659 Posts
I've never used Sync but ran into similar problem with my car, non Ford, and was told by the dealer that they would have to flash it there. I was getting the error message 'not enough space to perform update'. You might call your Ford dealer and see what say. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've never used Sync but ran into similar problem with my car, non Ford, and was told by the dealer that they would have to flash it there. I was getting the error message 'not enough space to perform update'. You might call your Ford dealer and see what say. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
I ran into problems when updating maps on my Edge. I called the customer service 800 number listed with my purchase. They were reasonably helpful. Got the problem solved anyway. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone ever resolve this? I've been trying and getting similar error messages. Did online chat with Ford rep thru their website but after walking through it again, ultimately, they were unable to help. Still getting "Bad File" error message when I plug in the USB. I've formatted, done Master Reset, etc. per their instructions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have followed the instructions on the Ford webpage; however, after the first attempt to upgrade Sync from 3 version 1 to version 2 updated for over 2 hours without completion, we finally gave up. In subsequent attempts, I now get an error message saying there is one bad file on the thumb drive and doesn't allow the update. I have even tried connecting to the home wifi to automatically update; however, it still doesn't update. Has anyone been able to resolve this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have spent a lot of time over the last couple of weeks trying to update Sync in my 2018 F150 (Canada). Tried multiple USB sticks, windows & mac OS, etc. Was driving me nuts, as it should be simple process. Got pissed off enough to say the hell with it.

Then I got my Map Update USB yesterday, and it would not install on build 17276 and that I needed to upgrade Sync. So, back to the computer and did exactly what the Ford instructions tell ya, again. And again, would not even start the download.

Came across a comment today about setting mapping scheme on the USB to Master Boot Record (Sync will not read GUID Mapping). Here is what I did and it worked flawlessly, on a Mac computer.

1) Downloaded the install from the My Ford webpage (will need vehicle SN) to my desktop
2) Drug the zip file onto a 32gb USB stick (formatted to Fat32/ 'Master Boot Record' mapping scheme)
3) Unzipped the file in the USB stick folder using the Unarchiver tool (found in App store)
4) Opened the unzipped folder, drug those files back into the main root
5) Deleted the zip file off the USB stick

It took maybe 15 min to update (from Sync 3.0/ Build 17276 to Build 20204). And now my map update is loading (from 2016 to 2020).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts