Ford Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
AUTS50 #012
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need advice/instructions on how to convert a 89 XF ute from T-bar to column shift. A mate wants to sell his cheap to me and I'm thinkig about buying but it's T-bar and I want column. Is it easy to do? I wouldn't mind getting my hands dirty and giving it a go myself if it's not that hard, as I don't want to spend too much, cheers.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The column shift conversion should be pretty easy, should not be too hard to pick one up from a wrecker. Make sure you get all the linkages, especially the ones under the car. Good idea to get new bushes, as worn ones will cause vague selection.

Main problem is the hole left in the floor after removal of T-bar shifter and hump. You will have to weld a plate over this!

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
I presume you want it to be a three seater as well?

The compliance plate will only be for a 2 seater...

·
AUTS50 #012
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EBXR said:
I presume you want it to be a three seater as well?

The compliance plate will only be for a 2 seater...
Yep, I want to convert to bench seat, never thought of compliance. Will the ute be unroadworthy/illegal to drive on the road? What's invoved in getting the ok to drive on the streets?

XWish Ute said:
Main problem is the hole left in the floor after removal of T-bar shifter and hump. You will have to weld a plate over this!
I have heard that the hump is bolted on with these models and you can just unbolt it and weld up a plate over the hole as you've said, shouldn't be hard if so, Cheers.

·
3,666 Posts
XXXR8 said:
Yep, I want to convert to bench seat, never thought of compliance. Will the ute be unroadworthy/illegal to drive on the road? What's invoved in getting the ok to drive on the streets?
Talk to your local vehicle inspector, to see what he would require. Worst case, you would need an engineers certificate, but depends on how pedantic they want to be.

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Shouldn't do, after all it's from the same model. Theoretically it should be like putting a v8 in an EB - just ring them up and tell them.

·
3,666 Posts
mongrelEB said:
Shouldn't do, after all it's from the same model. Theoretically it should be like putting a v8 in an EB - just ring them up and tell them.

Theoretically that's correct. Didn't happen when I converted my XC ute to a 3 seater though... So I took the risk and only used the middle seat when I was really stuck.

·
AUTS50 #012
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Checked with VicRoads today and was told I'd need an engineers for the conversion!! so I've decided not to go ahead with the purchase of the ute, thanks again fellas.

·
Gonna fit a twin cam
356 Posts
Talk to elxr8393. He is fully licencensed to do engineers certs. Either send him a pm, or give hime a call at work. The company is Automotive Performance Solutions, in Heidleberg Heights.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts