Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 EL xr8 T5 noisy reverse been told that it will need replaceing and that 2nd will probobly start to go next. What would cause this and why? have been told that doing rollbacks could cause it but there is no sign that the car has been thrashed and i would'nt think that the previous owner would have done any thing like that as the car was well looked after when i brought it.

Any ideas would be appreciated..

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Not 100% sure, but the previous owner when he selected reverse probably didn't come to a complete stop. Always make sure your at a complete stop before selecting reverse.

How many KM's on your car??? And how many times has the car had a gearbox fluid change in it's life?

I change the fluid every 50k and add that Nulon Gearbox treatment, my T5 has done 196km and not a problem.

Sorry that i can't pinpoint your problem.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
noisy bastard

car has done 75.000 fluid change atleast 2 times .Hard to explain noise its not a clunk and its barable but it there and ash said it sounds like gears have started to strip.I was told that the only way you would do rev is if you reversed from melb to sydney or normally caused by doing rollbacks but roll backs are highly unlikly and there is no sign in the rear end that the car has been treated in this maner and i doubt it would have been.it go's into rev easy to.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a bit like the noise your computer makes when its thinking??

·
Shh i'm huntin more power
1,764 Posts
My computer thinks quietly :) except for the fan noise....

it could be the reverse idler gear bush, but dont know, never seen one go, could be the shaft with a bit of end play.

·
Super Moderator
3,715 Posts
If it's a quiet grinding noise, the trans in your car is terminal and the depending on what brand of drive, the hard drive in your PC may be sick as well.

·
1,764 Posts
Aussiblue said:
If it's a quiet grinding noise, the trans in your car is terminal and the depending on what brand of drive, the hard drive in your PC may be sick as well.
A couple western digital drives in perfect working order. I still cant beleive how quiet they are. Anyway this isn't the nerd talk section so enough of that...

·
Super Moderator
3,715 Posts
If it's a humming sort of noise it might be something as simple as dust on/in the front drive shaft splines. Easy to test just spray some Slick 50 or similar lube (be generous) where the shaft goes into the gearbox; if the noise changes or vanishes you know you're onto it.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Have you recently bought the car and not used to it.They are rather noisy in reverse.Also check what oil they put in.T5's are not recomended to run a hypoid oil as in gearbox oil.They run a finer oil. A.t.f with a friction additive is what Ford recomended to me.A few years back when cold synchro's didn't work after oil change=wrong oil.Used synthetic g/box oil cured the problem..

·
Australian Ford Member
1,120 Posts
Heavier normal gear oil would tend to quieten it and make gear selection harder. My 88 EA S T5 has Dexron II (now III) auto trans fluid specified. It's in good nick and all the insulating bits are there and there's new mounts all round, but it seems to transmit more general gear noise as a whirr through the shift lever than I'd like, but it's only noticeable if you tune in to it. Maybe the box is just a bit noisy.

And why did Ford / BW change to hex key plugs on this box instead of the old spanner type? Probably done by the same design genius that put the stupid leaky rubber bung in the diff instead of a proper screw in plug.

And speaking of geniuses and diffs, I was out at Pick a Part recently and guess how they drain the diffs? The same way they do the fuel tanks, with a pick hole right through the diff cover.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
It's not the l.s.d clunking when reversing.That sounds bad but normal ? though sounds terminal.. I reckon she's o/k..

·
1,764 Posts
EA S said:

And why did Ford / BW change to hex key plugs on this box instead of the old spanner type?
The hex key plugs are tapered and require no washers, they're cheaper as you dont need a good surface on the outside. Don't overtighten as they will crack the housings...

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Always noisy the old T5

The old T5 always makes a whine noise in reverse just part of the box I guess.

·
Officially Bored with 347
3,584 Posts
OK mine did the same after reversing with my foot too hard on the go pedal the noise is called "gear rollover" its NOT detrimental to ya box in the slightest just a pain in the butt. After getting a quote to get it fixed im better off waiting til the box is on its way out & get the whole thing done rather than the reverse idler & bits....... Also im rather positive all T5's are meant to have oils containing "MERCON" so my god book tells me

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have been told by Ash at herrods that it is terminal and 2nd or 3rd will start to go next and it is not from reversing to fast as i reverse at walking pass down my driveway ( is about 150mtr ) because it is cruched rock.

BTW Thanks heaps for all your replies and your good opinions.:D

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Well we better send all our t5's to Melbourn then!

Mine has been like that since new,it's ten years old. 80k.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well you better hey smart a** the noise is pretty bad and is getting worse it's barable and yes the box could last for a long time but i dont like driveing around with a f***ed box especially if it gets hard to put into gear.I had a eb I6 with a T5 and it wase'nt this noisy i think i know when there is something wrong with my car.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Gee it got bad all of a sudden now the whole gearbox is stuffed.You only said it made a noise in reverse. Ash was the one who said [your words] 2nd and 3rd will go next.You did say it was barable too..I'm always sus on dealers etc saying things are stuffed then say we'll fix it. A Ford dealer here wanted to replace my clutch etc 6 years back! It's still going!!!Perfect...

·
Officially Bored with 347
3,584 Posts
Well gee the last time i looked the reverse idler shaft doesnt have anything to do with 2/3rd gear

1 - 20 of 24 Posts