Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just noticed two nights ago that my shift lever is a tinny bit loose. To best describe it is, in neutral position before the forks move the lever has a slight movement, is this normal or can it be fixed.

I've taken the knob of the lever before and also taken the boot cover off. The actually lever thats bolted to the shift is tight, so there must be something on the shifter that goes into the transmission thats a touch loose. Does anyone know if it can be fixed without pullin the trans or centre console apart.
If so how do i got about it. I hope i don't need to re-con my trans.:eek: :eek:
I remember when the clutch was done before they tightened it.

Thanks in advance Guys.
:cool:

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
Is it a standard shifter?

If its standard, the shifter has a little ball on the end of it, and in the gear box there is a cup for that ball to go into, and in the cup there is a plastic (i think) bush.

Its probably just the bush that has worn out a little.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
(\/)ADXF said:
Is it a standard shifter?

If its standard, the shifter has a little ball on the end of it, and in the gear box there is a cup for that ball to go into, and in the cup there is a plastic (i think) bush.

Its probably just the bush that has worn out a little.
(V)ADXF,

Yeah it's the standard shifter, sounds like thats the problem, cause so far shift quality and syncro's are A OK.
I wonder if they need to pull the trans out to replace ths bush? If it doesn't i might look into replacing it.
Thanks for the suggestion.
:cool:

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
That bush can be replaced from inside the car. Makes a difference too!

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Laminge Yes there are a few brands.Supposed to fix that second to third change problem,they say!Depends on $$$$Tightens shift right up and direct too.

·
gone
10,402 Posts
I had major probs in mine, kept getting the shift stuck between 2nd and 3rd, ordered a pro series shifter from the States which was spring loaded and shorter shift.

Even Bowe was suprised at the improvement!

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
laminge said:
I had major probs in mine, kept getting the shift stuck between 2nd and 3rd, ordered a pro series shifter from the States which was spring loaded and shorter shift.

Even Bowe was suprised at the improvement!
Is the shifter angled towards the left though?

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Martin said:

Is the shifter angled towards the left though?
No Mate as I heated the shift up and put it straight, well as straight as possible, but the angle wasnt great to start with may 10 degrees or so

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah i'll be lookin into these shifter kits, does anyone know how much it goes for???????? I know what that 2nd to 3rd gear shift dealy is, but i guess i'm abit more patient that otheres so it really aint' a prob for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts