Ford Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Black 200kw wheel barrow
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just want to know if the tinting spray stuff needs to be applied on the inside of the lights or not?

if so, how hard is it to pull the AU ute tail lights apart?

oh and yes, this is only for off road use :angel:

·
Registered
797 Posts
lol ... off road hey?

if u apply it on the outside it mght peal off after a while or get chipped just like paint, however i wouldnt even try pulling the au lights appart ... i had a broken tail light and there was NFW i could get that thing apart .. Good Luck

·
Registered
128 Posts
Apply it to the outside.
Make sure the taillights are *squeaky* clean and free of any grime or dirt ( id also recommend sanding back the lettering on the lights as it makes the job look a little neater ). Final clean should be with some alcohol.
From there, be sure to mask of any areas you dont want tinted. Then spray it on in multiple *thin* layers. Imperative it is thin - less runs and crap like that. And allow it to dry between layers. Using lots of thin layers will also allow you to accurately get the "darkness" you would like.
If you do it right, then peeling will not be an issue and you'd be bloody unlucky to get noticable stone chips that high IMO. I did this with a previous road car which was not done overly dark so I didnt have any police hassles, but my mate decided darker would be better and was pulled over and yellowed pretty quickly. Also if you have a rear end accident, your insurance will not want to know you and you'll be left holding the can. Just bear that in mind....
Off-road...yeah right!

·
Black 200kw wheel barrow
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok guys sorry didnt see any of your posts as i just got back from doing it a completely different way!

remembered a FF member by the name of YTRY4 (from memory) used black stocking and put the entire light inside the stocking, pulled it tight, then put it back on the car

did this to both tail lights and side indicators and she looks GREAT!

and the even better thing is, if i get pulled over/or accident, i can just take the stockings straight off!

(just a shame my legs look really white now! :angel: )

·
300+rwkw DC LTD Member
1,622 Posts
Since when do you apply it to the outside, I suppose your windows are tinted on the outside too!!

It is painted on the inside, so then it will not be scratched off.

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
The can stuff is more like paint. And u spray it on the outside.
Did it to my EA.

I was going to recomend u try stocking first aswell.
Sounds ghey but i did it to my last car and it looked ok. Had a few enquiries from ppl at the last cruise.
And its a whole lost cheaper than new lights if u get yellowed!

·
Registered
128 Posts
LTDHO said:
Since when do you apply it to the outside, I suppose your windows are tinted on the outside too!!

It is painted on the inside, so then it will not be scratched off.
:wtf:

Just because it says tint, it isnt necessarily plastic sheet like window tint, it is a pressure pack can of paint that we are referring to....

And yes, the stockings is a good idea. Cheap, effective and easily removed.

·
Sandwich Connoisseur
955 Posts
Anyone got pics of this on an EA - ED?

Thanks
Donno

·
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel
3,582 Posts
FalKeen said:
(just a shame my legs look really white now! :angel: )
You'll have to shave them now to! LOL

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts

·
Sandwich Connoisseur
955 Posts
Cheers mate

·
Black 200kw wheel barrow
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah it is very dark actually
looks great, but im betting i will get some unfriendly attention, but i can just take em off

ill have some pics up tomorrow, just sorting out digital camera program thats stuffing up, have already taken the pics

oh and jamie id never shave my legs

waxing does such a better job

·
AUTS50 #012
1,001 Posts
After applying the tint, go over top with a high gloss clear. It will look alot better. I did this when I owned a ED XR8 and looked fantastic.

·
i pity tha fool
1,040 Posts
sux tho with eb/d fairmonts... coz you'd haf to do the boot garnish aswell..

although i wouldnt mind getting an XR8 garnish then tinting the rear lights.

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
jmartion said:
sux tho with eb/d fairmonts... coz you'd haf to do the boot garnish aswell..

although i wouldnt mind getting an XR8 garnish then tinting the rear lights.
no shit.
Too much of a biatch spraying around them aswell :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts