Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi People,

My car has started making a tapping sound front right, not all the time, but sometimes, it goes tap, tap, tap driving in a staight line, gets faster with speed as well, if I touch the brakes it goes away, as soon as foot comes off it comes back sometimes, other times gone, then come to a stop at lights and drive off, it is still gone, or it will start again, usaully stops, then it can be days without any noise, or after driving for a short time it comes back.
Very basically seems to do it when it wants, but it has been in the last 2 week or so it has started happening, had the car nearly 12 months, with about 245,000 on the clock, 3 speed auto, EA Ghia, MPFI, fuel only.

Wether it be a hot day, or cold day it can happen, car just started or driving for an hour it can happen, up hill or down hill makes no difference.

I have looked up threads with no real answer, or conclusion as to what it really was.

Jason

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
Next time it happens I'd grab a mate and see if you can get it play up with them in the car, then kick 'em out, and get them to try and track it down a little while walking beside the car ( also gives you a chance to run over them if you don't like them ;) )

I assume that it is 100% speed related, and not related to engine speed at all ?

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car stopped no noise, I am yet to pull the wheel off and have a good look, loose wheel nuts is one thought I have, but I doubt it, will check them first anyway, sooner than later.

Jason

·
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane
3,293 Posts
had something similar on our meteor.....within about a month the brake pads were down to metal. dont know if this was because of the noise or the noise was from the pads being so low. new pads no noise.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update on the knocking noise, I put oil in the car, needed a litre and I havent had noise since, coincednce I know, but strange none the less

1 - 6 of 6 Posts