Ford Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Taurus Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1995 Taurus has a problem. The car runs great when cool. I can drive for a couple hours. But then the car will start chugging for about 30 seconds then just die. If I try to restart it right away, it will run for about 5 second very badly, then stall again. If I try to hit the gas, the car will just continue to run very badly without increasing engine RPM, and it will sound off with some muffled backfires, then die again.
If I let the car sit for about 20 minutes or longer, it will start up again and run fine for awhile. The longer I let it cool down, the longer it will run without a problem. But eventually it will do the same thing.
Almost seems like once it warms up, something malfunctions. Seems like it is starving for fuel when it does this, but not sure.
Anyone have any ideas?

·
SHO Member
8 Posts
I would start by putting a fuel pressure gauge on it, see what the pressure is. Should be about 35 at idle, about 40 above idle. Anything over 25 will allow the engine to run, but not with all its power. Don't just push in the valve, a mere 15 PSI is plenty of pressure to squirt gas all over the place.
Perry Toledo,Ohio

·
Taurus Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Warm Starter? That is a new one for me, where is it located?

Was also told to check out the idle sensor for the fuel injection system.

By the way, I get no codes when I put it on a computer. The fuel filter and pump also work good.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Most cars have two starters. Warm and Cold starters. I know acura and mercedes do, so Im pretty sure we do too. Sometimes a bad starter can cause problems like youre describing. I dont know where they are located. I have a Probe, not a Taurus.

·
Grand Muckety Muck
710 Posts
Nylie said:
Most cars have two starters. Warm and Cold starters. I know acura and mercedes do, so Im pretty sure we do too.
Say wha.....:WH: Not to my knowledge they don't... We have cold start solenoids that act something like a choke...

It almost sounds like the ignitor problem we have on the Probes. While you car is very different, it sounds like an ignition module may be heating up too much and then shorting out (under too much of a load). Kind of like the control modules on the older ford/chevy vehicles. That could result in a misfire(hence the backfire) and the car stalling and such...

·
Taurus Member
11 Posts
3.8 or 3.0L ?

If you have coil pak with spark plug wires check to see if any are grounded out or crossed over with each others
When the heat goes up sparks will try to find ground or spark plug wire to ground first.
Or if it has a distrutator the coil ignition module can be going out.
confused:
Hope this helps.

Mike M.

·
Taurus Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
solved the problem??

I think I figured out what is wrong guys. If you guys have seen the news, then you know ford has "recalled" several million cars and trucks. My Taurus is one of them.
Seem the TFI module (thick filmed ignition) is a peice of sh**. Ford has know about it since 1984 but never said anything.
Anyway, I did some research, and the problems they found with these module are the EXACT same things my car is doing.
I hope this is it. Thanks for all the help guys, and I will let you all know what happens.

·
Taurus Member
11 Posts
the TFI module (thick filmed ignition)

Did you try a new one or aftermarket one from autozone-kragen.
Yes those TFI module (thick filmed ignition) were bad on many Ford & Mercury car and truck.
That means that you have a dis. with it on it.
Hope things will work your way.
Mike M.

·
Taurus Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
aftermarket

I installed an aftermarket one from Autozone. It is a b rand name and was about 1/2 the price of what the ford dealer wanted. So far so good, but I will have to go on a long trip before I am totaly satified it is fixed. I am pretty sure this was it though.

F

·
0 Posts
Lurch

I had a similar problem. Ont top of the radiator, under the shroud, is the fuel pump relay. Get the car to have th problem again. Then, pour a pitcher of cool water on the black box there on top of the radiator. It should act fine. I cut the shroud off, as it retains heat and kills the relay. I havea new in box relay for sale also. I hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts