Ford Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Taurus took the AX4N (4F50N) transmission. For many years. It seems like a really common transmission. Sable also used it.

...And it's listed as the transmission for the Mercury Monterey and the Ford minivans.

...But here's the rub: that transmission is NOT listed as compatible from sedans <-> minivans on eBay! Why is that?

I notice a couple unofficial modifiers in the listings: sometimes they note shifter on floor or shifter on column. ...If that mattered, wdn't it be reflected in the part number? Are there OTHER differences as well? ...That make this common sedan trans incompatible w the minivans???

The trans listed on eBay for the minivans tends to run $700-900. For the sedans it's commonly $400. Why the diff?

...I'm guessing there's no diff. I bought a replacement trans for my minivan 5 yrs ago and paid $400. I forget what it was but i bet it was the basic AX4N. I remember having a learning breakthru that time and being happy to find a cheap trans. But I've forgotten the details.

Help? Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I checked w a few salvage yards that have the cheap Taurus AX4N trans -- and they all said it's not compatible w the minivan AX4N trans. Jeez! Why? How can this be? Don't diff parts have diff numbers? One said it's coz the engine is a diff size -- so wdn't that mean a diff part number? They said they needed my VIN# to tell if it wd fit. Again, why isn't part # enough? Well, i do see various digits of VIN #'s being noted in eBay listings. Is this why? ...You need the part # ***and a certain VIN#*** to make sure a part fits?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
1 Participant
JeffOYB
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing