Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all.

I've developed a rather loud and embarrasing squeak in my baby. Originally my investigative skills* told me it might be a shot wheel bearing, but with further testing procedures*, it appeared that the squeaking stopped upon depression of the clutch pedal. It doesn't take much pressure on the pedal to stop the noise, even just resting the foot on it lightly will do the trick.

Any ideas? Could the cable be cooked from the exhaust headers? I am CLUTCHing at straws here.. (sorry for that one)

:confused: :confused: :thumbdown :WH:

* Skills and procedures curtesy of the exclusive and prestigious "Detective Doc's How To Find Things Out" series of books and audio tapes, available now from all good retailers from $19.95) Doc - when's the video series coming out? :wink2:

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot to add that it seems that the operation of the clutch hasn't been effected. Everything works as per normal, everything still "feels" the same... only the noise! :(

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
I would put money on the clutch thrust bearing. Common if you are the type that sits at lights etc with the clutch depressed for extended periods of time.

Try this - if you can drop the cover plate off the bottom of the clutch try spraying a little silicon spray on the bearing (use one of those spray can plastic nozzles). If this shuts it up, you know!
Don't get the spray on the friction plate if you can avoid it.

·
gone
10,402 Posts
el2xr8 said:
G'day all.

I've developed a rather loud and embarrasing squeak in my baby. Originally my investigative skills* told me it might be a shot wheel bearing, but with further testing procedures*, it appeared that the squeaking stopped upon depression of the clutch pedal. It doesn't take much pressure on the pedal to stop the noise, even just resting the foot on it lightly will do the trick.
:
Ohh the sweet sound of a clutch on the way out.

Dude, I heard that sound with my 1st clutch, and yes it is the thrust bearings on the way out, as the same thing happened with my 2nd and 3rd clutch, ats just a good sign that youve got approx 1000's ks or so of driving left before the whole thing craps itself.

I am about to install my 4th clutch in 6 months but really its my fault, I seem to ride 1st gear too hard!

If anyone had any ideas of a decent clutch system i am all ears!

·
7,777 Posts
Re: Re: Tech question - Clutching at straws!

laminge said:
Isn't Herrod giving you a good clutch setup? Is that what they're doing on Thursday?

·
gone
10,402 Posts
No Actually

They are going to rplace the pully after that braket fell off and screwed everything up.

Apparently he is getting a clutch developed for the explode car but, i am burning through the standards faster than I am getting hot meals!!!:WH:

G

·
0 Posts
Re: Re: Tech question - Clutching at straws!

laminge said:

I am about to install my 4th clutch in 6 months but really its my fault, I seem to ride 1st gear too hard!

Man!! are you still having clutch problems?
I think it's time for a race prepared auto you clutch destroyer!!:wink2:

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Tech question - Clutching at straws!

DONUT KING said:

Ask a V8 supercar team ;)
Well funny you should say that, a mates got a v8 supercar on the back of a trailer parked in his garage.

LOL

·
7,777 Posts
The clutch will be on my list of discussions on Friday. His cost seems excessive though at $800 plus. Seeing engine is out that must be parts only.

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Hmmmm

I would question that with him.

Really, until you get the supercharger on, i doubt you will have any probs with the clutch

·
Bring Back the 24hr!!!
5,809 Posts
Heh, they used hydrualic systems on V8 falcons in the XD/XE
My 6 cyl has a cable, and it keeps wearing out D'OH!
Might have to consider a conversion to V8 spec hudrulic operation if it continues to wear out the cables.

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Its not the cable, but rather the heat generated by the clutch.

Unfortunatelty the bugger is not designed to take the grunt.

I can drop it at the lights and if the wheels have traction then the clutch itself will slip and spin its little heart out until it start to melt and re-grab.

Hmmmm

·
Bring Back the 24hr!!!
5,809 Posts
Yeah i knew that... sorry badly worded reply... my cable keeps wearing out....

Maybe you need a water cooled clutch :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
About this Discussion
37 Replies
9 Participants
Mr Sparkle
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing