Ford Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well lets see here. I am a SHO owner. One Problem nobody is alive on the sho forum. So I ventured over here. Mustangs I know but Probes I don't. They look good and I know that the GT has a V6 right. Someone give me the lowdown. I am also going to be jucing the SHO while I am building the turbo system. But one problem I don't know to much about the stuff.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I know Dan(sac) is selling a NOS kit. Email him for more info. Hes full of great info. on the probes...but lets see...they were in production from 89-97. The 2nd gen started with the 93 models. I have a 93. They have the base, se and gt models. the GT is a v6 and the Base and SE are 2.0's. What other kinds of info did you want?

·
A-Team Member
263 Posts
Gil Starr said:
All he really needs to know is that PGT's with MTX rock!!! :thup:
:noNO: :noNO:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
like stats

I was also looking for weight, base hp/torque, top speed, and 1/4. Is it a good car how well do they respond to tuning. and do you like driving them?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
My SE weighs about 2500 pounds. the GT's weigh more, closer to 3k, depending on the options. They handle really well and I love driving mine. In the first 18 months, Ive put on 2800 miles. hehehe. For a FWD car, Im impressed. I dont have all the stats, but Im sure someone around here does. Dan(sac) got his GT down to 13.3 at I think 94 mph. But he did a massive weight reduction, plus nos, and CAI. Most Probes run between 13-17s, depending on the driver and whats been done, or not, to the car.

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
Re: like stats

shopower said:
I was also looking for weight, base hp/torque, top speed, and 1/4. Is it a good car how well do they respond to tuning. and do you like driving them?
Here's some stats for you.

1989-92GL and 89LX had a I-4,12v sohc 2.2L, [email protected] and 130lbstq @3000rpm. 1990-92LX V-6 12v 3.0L, [email protected] and [email protected] 1989-92GT Turbo I-4 12v sohc 2.2L [email protected] and [email protected] Don't know the weights or 1/4 times for the 1st generation Probe.

2nd Gen Probe 1993-97. 93-97 Base and SE models I-4 16v dohc 2.0L, (93 only) [email protected] [email protected] (94-97) [email protected] [email protected]
2nd Gen PGT 93-97 V-6 24v dohc 2.5L. (93only)[email protected] [email protected] (94-97) [email protected] 5600rpm [email protected] Weight is 2900lbs, top speed "according to Ford" is 132mph. 0 to 60mph 7.5sec, 1/4 mile: 15.8 at 88 mph. 4 wheel disc brakes. The 93-95GT models are easier to tune than the 96-97GTs, they have less pollution garbage on them. But, the market doesn't sell a lot of performance stuff for our cars. We can get Headers, exhaust, filter, Cold Ait intake, pulleys, fly wheel, sparkplug wires, Springs, and Struts, that's about it. Well, one can save some money up and order the J-spec motor from Japan, it has 197 to 200 horses. I love the way my car drives especially around cruves with p225/50VR16 tires "stock GT wheel size" it's fun.

·
SVT Lightning Member
26 Posts
According to Car and Driver magazine, the first-generation Probe GT ('89-'92) went 0-60 in 6.8 seconds (as compared to the 6.4 for the same era Mustang GT) and had a top speed of about 135 MPH. Add nothing but a $35 boost controller and 0-60 drops by more than 1/2 second.
--
Jim

·
Old Skool Member
1,031 Posts
Shopower, if you are thinking of turboing your car, you should also look into the possibility of owning a first generation GT Turbo. Very nice!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes the 1st gen turbo is the easiest, cheapest and by far the best engine to mod for the probes (ALL GENS :s2:) MANY 1st gen turbo owners are well in the mid 14 range, a few in the 13 second range, and a couple soon to be even faster. :tup:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hehe so defensive... yeah so we're all a little biased.

Why its easiest? It already has boost. Turn it up. Most potential? Never said anything about it. How many? I dunno, check probetalk.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Note I said the best engine TO MOD. Dont get me wrong, the 2.5L is very reliable and 2nd gens look a hellova lot better than a first, and Id rather have a second gen, I was just reffering to the original statements about boosting.

2nd genners rarely ever support the first genners though :darin:

·
Banned
68 Posts
3PT0Probe said:
Note I said the best engine TO MOD. Dont get me wrong, the 2.5L is very reliable and 2nd gens look a hellova lot better than a first, and Id rather have a second gen, I was just reffering to the original statements about boosting.

2nd genners rarely ever support the first genners though :darin:

$3500 into either motor will net you low 13s if you have traction....

Neither is cheaper/better, etc., if you really want to go fast. If you throw lots of money, say, $5-8k + into either motor, I'd say go w/ the V6 due to larger displacement.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah actually I always have believed that also. THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT.. If you do the same thing to a V8 than you do with a Honda 4, turbo it, the extra size can handle and put out more ponies. And Marks got you with the 3.0 there, Darin ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.