Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you knowledgeable people out ther ethink about fords telstar tx5/mazda 626 (6 and 4 cyl versions) from between 91 and 94? Do they run well? Are they reliable? Are they gutsy or gutless? Any inherant issues with them?...+any other info u got on them, incl performance wise etc.
Thanks.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Good cars. Wish Ford could still sell them at a good price now...
The usuall things like C/V joints and general maintinance, deterioration..

·
400 kg ego
6,188 Posts
Yeah, beautiful cars. Honestly there's nothing about them that isn't above par - reliability, refinement, handling, performance.. you name it! The pick of the bunch would seemingly be the manual-only 4WS Telstar TX5 Ghia (121 kW from memory, with the 2.5 DOHC V6 that was also fitted to Ford Probe and Mazda MX-6)... though I imagine it would be frightfully expensive to fix the 4WS system if anything went wrong.

On the same topic, parts prices is generally a bit of a concern with these models, and an investigation by Wheels showed that sometimes the parts prices between Ford and Mazda varied to a ridiculous extent.

Worth a test drive to say the least.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
The 6cyl manual is the one to get, they haul for what they are. A few minor mods and you'll be scaring XR6s.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Talk to your mechanic or others in the know.

I'd been warned off the V6 because of head gasket problems costing an arm and a leg to fix.

·
Registered
118 Posts
great car if you find one thats been serviced and looked after
they love to rev i havnt driven one thats been modified but they are a sweet engine
i have in my workshop at the moment with the heads off it thats becoause they drove it with out any water in it
the water pump was leaking
the complete repair including water pump heads and head over haul is about $4000

·
Sideways..
1,652 Posts
my mates mum used to have one, the 5 speed v6 version.
and f*ck it used to fly man! plus it all electrics inside... pretty nice i must admit.
although they had quite a few engine problems, so they got rid of it in the end.

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
madmelon said:
What do you knowledgeable people out ther ethink about fords telstar tx5/mazda 626 (6 and 4 cyl versions) from between 91 and 94? Do they run well? Are they reliable? Are they gutsy or gutless? Any inherant issues with them?...+any other info u got on them, incl performance wise etc.
Thanks.
Mine is coming up for sale shortly. 1992 model 2.0L manual. Runs great, very reliable, pretty competitive for performance in it's segment, no inherent issues. Great little car.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
johnmans said:
great car if you find one thats been serviced and looked after
they love to rev i havnt driven one thats been modified but they are a sweet engine
i have in my workshop at the moment with the heads off it thats becoause they drove it with out any water in it
the water pump was leaking
the complete repair including water pump heads and head over haul is about $4000
For $Four grand I would be looking at an Import or front cut from a latter model !!!!!

·
E-Series Club Member
198 Posts
The probe didn't have any major head issues, I don't think it was the engine's fault for the rebuild.

The HLA's tick, but that was an oil issue and nothing but an annoyance. The Valve cover gaskets would sometimes leak oil into the spark plug wells. The Main Drama with the KL engine is the Dizzy. That can go due to overheating the transitor in there (don't quote me on that ;). and the replacement from Ford as you'd expect is well over 1,000$ IF you are lucky enough to find one at a wreackers, it was about 600$ last time I heard of someone getting one.

The engine's love to rev. it mod's reasonable well, nothing to brag about. I/H/E would get you to low 15's I'd think.

The KLZE import engine is "From $2000" magazine in front of me. But the only bad side of that is that you don't know how good that engine is either.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
ebxr8240 said:
For $Four grand I would be looking at an Import or front cut from a latter model !!!!!
Agreed, you can pick up a Jap Spec 2.5L (KL-ZE I think?) with 150kw for less than $2500

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
The V6s weigh around 1250kg and do 0-100 in around 8secs and the 1/4 in 16 flat.(manual)

As for price anything from $8k to $12k

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
Not too bad for a light car. Bolt on a turbo and wave goodbye to the Holden boys as you shoot pass! LOVELY!!!!:hehe:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Where would i buy a manual for a 1987 Telstar my girlfriend has one and the motor is FUBAR and ive taken it out (was a damn mission for a small car not much space to work with) but am wanting a Workshop Manual for the re-instalation of the new engine???

Also with a 626turbo you will blow an xr6 of the mark no probs a mate has one and we kill em all the time...

As far as i know every manual i look at says Ford Telstar/Mazda 626 so they must be the same....

·
FPV Tasmania Member
961 Posts
Had a 86 TX5 Turbo, bought it new, kept it for 10 years (was wifes car) Made a few changes to exhaust, added a little boost, magic car
5 Speed manual, was never very quick from a standing start, but once it was moving, watch out, here it comes
(Typical turbo) Did a 140,000 klicks in it, rarely let the turbo cool down (if I had been giving it a lash, I would take it easy the last 5 to 10 mins of the trip) the only problem ever had with it was that the knock sensor control module died (Clutch failed the day the new owner bought it)
Wife is still sorry we sold it

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
i now have a 86 Telstar to get me around and it seems pretty good. Pretty quick and easy on the pocket as well. Thats the main reason i got it.

VRSenator215 said:
Where would i buy a manual for a 1987 Telstar my girlfriend has one and the motor is FUBAR and ive taken it out (was a damn mission for a small car not much space to work with) but am wanting a Workshop Manual for the re-instalation of the new engine???

Also with a 626turbo you will blow an xr6 of the mark no probs a mate has one and we kill em all the time...

As far as i know every manual i look at says Ford Telstar/Mazda 626 so they must be the same....

I got a workshop manual from BIG W, Ford Telstar/Mazda 626

1 - 20 of 36 Posts