Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have Telstra Broadband ADSL with the 256 /64 download speed package and is that speed good enough to view all the unmetered V8 Supercar content ? It does state on the Telsta site that they recommend 512 /128 speed for optimum viewing . Can anyone tell me if the lower speed works ok?

·
Rail Rider
1,248 Posts
I have 512/128 and set the stream to 200k and still won't keep up. The video is fine but the live telemetry and timing lags something shocking after a while.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
go cable 69 bucks a month uncapped speed, also unlimited downloads!

i sometimes get over 500kb/sec

which equates to 5000/128.

·
Now With 9 inch LSD Diff
575 Posts
What should I get my dial up is way slow and i don't know what plan to get for broad band or cable. We use 600 hours of internet a month and 600mb of donwload. Anyone reccommend anything!

sorry for stealing this thread

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
get the $69 unlimited plan from telstra. its not entirely unlimited you have 10Gb download at high speed, and if you go over that it drops to 64k, which is faster than dialup anyway.

I havent hit 10gb yet, most download in one day was 1035Mb..

if you are downloading 600mb on dialup, triple it with cable, cuz when you see something you want, you can now download it, as before on dialup you may say, na buggar it, it takes too long..

Plus i have our cable shared around the house, and can have upto 5 computers on the net at once. not that i have 5 computers, but i have 4..

·
Now With 9 inch LSD Diff
575 Posts
OED666 said:
get the $69 unlimited plan from telstra. its not entirely unlimited you have 10Gb download at high speed, and if you go over that it drops to 64k, which is faster than dialup anyway.

I havent hit 10gb yet, most download in one day was 1035Mb..

if you are downloading 600mb on dialup, triple it with cable, cuz when you see something you want, you can now download it, as before on dialup you may say, na buggar it, it takes too long..

Plus i have our cable shared around the house, and can have upto 5 computers on the net at once. not that i have 5 computers, but i have 4..
does that mean unlimited hours too.

because this sounds great

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
just sus out the installiation fee, i remember seeing telstra advertising cable the other week. if you join up you get the frist 2 months free. and also you are on a contract for 18 or 24 months.

plus, when you connect to the internet it doesnt cost you anything, like when you are on a dialup, you have the call cost. with cable you are connecting to a network, and no cost involved :)

·
Now With 9 inch LSD Diff
575 Posts
OED666 said:
just sus out the installiation fee, i remember seeing telstra advertising cable the other week. if you join up you get the frist 2 months free. and also you are on a contract for 18 or 24 months.

plus, when you connect to the internet it doesnt cost you anything, like when you are on a dialup, you have the call cost. with cable you are connecting to a network, and no cost involved :)
thanks for all the help

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
i am in brisbane and have cable..

on the bigpond website you can see if you have cable in your area. you put in your address, and it says if it running past your house. also, if you can get cable tv, you can get cable internet. (i am not talking about satellite tv either) i mean the cable must be running down your st.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
I used to be on the Telstra 3 gig plan before the unlimited dl plan came out, there has to be something somewhere, how can 3 gig per month cost 72 bucks yet unlimited costs 69?

·
Registered
738 Posts
If you're currently on dialup, perhaps look at ADSL - see if you can get it. Really, it is the only other viable option apart from cable. With ADSL, you can get 256/64 kbps (kilobits/sec download speed/upload speed), the 512/128, then 1.5 Mbps which costs alot more than 512/128. So if you've previously been on dialup, you'll probably be happy on 256/64 ADSL. For ADSL don't look at just Telstra. iinet and others offer good value.

Here is a starting point http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/

·
Registered
92 Posts
Firstly I have to recommend iinet's bliink 512+ plan. It's a 512/128 connection, with 32GB of downloads, and it's like Telstra's "unlimited" plan (although they had it a few years before telstra), where if you go over, you are shaped to 72k, and it's only $79.95!

If you want true unlimited broadband, the only place that does it is TPG, as Dodo and other Comindico resellers are quite slow.

I recommend that you check out this place before you decide.

BTW, Telstra are one of the worst ISP's to sign up with, facing the largest amount of dropouts, worst customer service and over the top pricing. (Yes on the top, it seems that they have the cheapest plans, but they charge for uploads (i.e. they count to your quota)). Telstra have even been quoted as saying that they sell their plans at a loss, only to get it back in extra fees.

iinet, internode and netspace are the best you can go for.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
i no we were looking at swiftdsl at work, but Hypermax have lowered our monthly fee.. we were also looking at TPG..

We have had heeps more problems with our ADSL at work, and thats through Hypermax, who use telstra i think..

i havent had any problems with telstra's CABLE. the only prob was with that email problem that they had late last year.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts