Ford Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have an 04 ghia territory. It starts in the morning when it's cooler and will run all day but as soon as it's turned off and try to start again it fires and dies straight away. It will do this twice then won't even wind over. If tried again after a few attempts the icc says security code. After several hours when it cools of it will start fine again. Only bought the car a week ago to replace my hail destroyed territory so it's causing me too much stress. Please help. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,505 Posts
Did you buy this from a dealer or a private owner? If it's from a dealer, warranty? Generally in the US, dealers have to warranty for 30 days with a few caveats.

What's the battery voltage when off and what's the alternator output when running?

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
Yes it's likely covered by a statutory warranty but they vary by State so check the agency that handles consumer affairs in your state; this is what applies in WA: Used car warranties . Of course if you bought it via a privates sale or from Gumtree or ebay you just bought someone else's problem. It's not parked on a slope is it as there is a know problem with SX Territories solved with an upgraded fuel pump. Also check the braided earth connection between the engine and the chassis is sound. You may also have leaking fuel injectors. They will also behave this way when the starter motor is dying and drawing too much current and that's probably the first an easiest to check. Clean and re-tighten all the starter motor terminals then do a starter motor current draw test. See
and Starter Current Draw Test: Testing Starter Motor etc A motoring club like the RAC will also do a starter current draw test for you if you are a member, It's not and LPG gas vehicle is it as they also have their own failure to start when warm issues?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts