Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 2009 ford territory and went you turn the key once or twice it starts, but today been turn the key over and over again and nothing, any idea what could be causing this before I take into the mechanics I'd some idea so that I'm not getting ripped?
My 1st thought was maybe alternator or battery as when you turn over theres just a clicking noise but as I said do it a couple of times then it works, then other times it will turn over 1st go but now theres nothing?

Any suggestion or advise would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
3,640 Posts
It's also common for the plate opposite the key barrel where inside the steering column shroud to fully or partially detach see
and
and
and
You can take the plastic shroud off the steering column to check. You can also jump the start relay to see if the problems is with the ignitions switch or starter circuit; if it start when you jump the start relay the issue is with the ignition switch or its circuit. If not, it's likely the starter motor or circuit (assuming the battery is good).

·
Super Moderator
3,640 Posts
Note: to jump the start relay remove the starter relay from the fuse box and jump pins (30 and 87 ) on the relay socket with the ignition turned to start (make up a short wire of sufficient amp rating with male spade connector at each end that you can plug in (or buy a set of these PlusQuip - EQP-109 Relay Bypass Switch Master Kit /). It's a two man job one turns the key one jumps the relay and disconnects if and once started making sure not to stand in front of the vehicle so as not to get run over. Or if you are solo you can add a 12 volt switch to the bit of wire with the two spade connectors you are using to jump the relay. If it cranks or starts its the BCM (body control module), ignition lock distribution plate or other wiring; if not more likely the starter but also check you have current between pins 30 and 87 with the key in the start position.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts