Ford Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So what's the gos on Tom Gorman?

Quick search on google found his picture:

and from http://www.fleet-central.com/af/passnews_c.cfm?rank=2143

Tom Gorman Named General Sales Manager, Ford Division in U.S.

May 6, 2002

DEARBORN, MI--
GIOMBETTI
After serving for two years as executive director of Ford Motor Co.’s North American Fleet, Lease and Remarketing Operations, Tom Gorman has been named general sales manager for Ford Division in the United States.
Looks like he is moving up quick, two big promotions in a couple of years.

·
Mr. Embargo
3,745 Posts
Tom Gorman has been named president of Ford Australia, a position he will assume on March 1, 2004. Previously, he was general sales manager at Ford Division in the United States where he was responsible for sales of all Ford cars and trucks in the U.S. through more than 3,800 dealers in 17 regions.

Gorman brings to Australia extensive experience in Finance, Product Development, Marketing and Sales in both the U.S. and Europe.

He began his Ford career in 1987 as a financial analyst and held numerous positions within Finance, including controller of the Dearborn Stamping Plant and finance director for Ford France. In addition, he was controller for the Customer Service Division and served as executive director for North America Fleet Lease and Remarketing Operations with responsibilities for all commercial sales and remarketing in the United States. Following that assignment, Gorman joined Ford Division in 2002 as general sales manager.

Gorman holds a B.A. degree from Tufts University and earned his M.B.A. from Harvard Business School. He is married and has two sons.

·
Mr. Embargo
3,745 Posts
John G. Crew

Title: Executive Vice President, Operations – Ford Australia
Joined Ford: January 1970
John G. Crew has been named executive vice president, Operations – Ford Australia, a position he will assume on March 1, 2004. He will be responsible for Customer Satisfaction and Quality, Manufacturing, Purchasing and Product Development for Ford Australia. Previously, Crew was plant manager, Kentucky Truck Plant in Louisville.

Crew has extensive experience in manufacturing in Ford plants in Australia, Europe and the U.S. He joined Ford in 1970 as a welding engineer at the Broadmeadows Assembly Plant in Australia. He held a variety of positions there until 1983 when he was appointed plant manager at the Brisbane Assembly Plant. In 1987, he returned to Broadmeadows as plant manager before heading to the United States where he worked in a variety of manufacturing positions that included assembly and stamping operations.

In 1993, Crew returned to Australia as plant manager of the Geelong Stamping Plant. In 1996, he was promoted to vice president, Manufacturing – Ford Australia, and the next year, was sent to Britain as the operations manager at Dagenham.

In 1999, he was named director of B-car operations, Ford of Europe, and in 2001, he returned to the U.S. as manager of Kentucky Truck.

Crew earned a Bachelor of Engineering degree in industrial engineering in 1969 from the University of New South Wales.

·
Mr. Embargo
3,745 Posts
Spoke to someone who worked under Crew and he had nothing but praise for the guy, has a great deal of knowledge in engineering and is a bit of a perfectionist. Haven't heard a great deal about Gorman other than he did a messy job with the Taurus fleet strategy and was promptly moved to commercial truck.

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Must admit.. as soon as I typed that last night.. I went straight to The Pub to find out whats doing.. low & behold there's a thread with over 100 replies..

I really have been living with my head up my arse of late! :doh:

·
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
another article, not much new:

Ford chief promoted to European sales

Author: Paul Gover
Publication: Courier Mail (C06,Wed 18 Feb 2004)
Keywords: Ford

THE man who led Ford Australia back from the AU Falcon disaster has won a promotion to Europe.

Geoff Polites will leave the top job at Broadmeadows at the end of March, just before his final triumph -- the Falcon-based Territory crossover vehicle -- hits local showrooms.

He will become vice-president of European Sales Staffs, a new position, and will be succeeded as president of Ford Australia by an American, Thomas J. Gorman.

Polites has kicked plenty of goals in the time since he was lured from a Sydney dealership by the former global head of Ford, Jac Nasser, to take over at the troubled blue-oval carmaker.

He got the go-ahead for the impressive new BA Falcon, sold the Territory program to Ford management in the USA, revitalised sales and led the push which put Ford on top of V8 Supercar racing last year.

``Geoff Polites has done a terrific job in Australia, and the product line has never been better. His talents will be put to excellent use in Europe,'' Ford's Asia-Pacific group vice-president, Mark Schulz, said.

The blue-oval team was doing it tough with the unloved AU Falcon when Polites was recruited as president.

He knew times would be tough, but Polites says he didn't know just how tough it would be to get Ford going forward again.

``To say I have enjoyed my time at Ford Australia would be a major understatement,'' he says.

``The five years I have spent here have had their moments, but I will always be enormously proud to have been a part of the success of the BA Falcon and the development of the new Ford Territory, which I know will be a winner.''

The new management team at Ford Australia will move into action on April 1, when Gorman will be joined by John Crew in the new position of executive vice-president of operations.

Gorman has only been with Ford since 1987, but was the general sales manager at Ford Division in America, a job which made him responsible for activities at more than 3800 dealerships across the USA.

Crew will be returning to Australia, where he began as a welding engineer at Broadmeadows in 1970. His new job will include responsibility for customer satisfaction and quality, manufacturing, purchasing and product development for Ford Australia.

·
Mr. Embargo
3,745 Posts
I have not met TG, and probably won't. For those who have met him what is he really like, the media seem to hold the opinion its now better to find comment from others within Ford than get a vague response from him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts