Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Corner Hugger
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm posting so we can eliminate this rattle in our boot on all hatches, or at least those who've noticed it.

So far I've pulled out the plastic insert on the boot interior and it's nothing in there, at least nothing I could see. I have heard that Tim suggests it may be the wiper motor, so one day I'll pull out the insert again, lower my seats and drive around with somebody listening to it.

It also isn't in the tyre well as both Tim and myself have tightened the nuts and I've rotated my tyres using the jack and spare tyre, after replacing the jack and tyre in the well the noise is still there. So it's not the spare either...

Possible sources could be the hinges on the boot, the locking mechanism or the wheel wells. Anyone with spare time wanna check them and eliminate them?

Cheers,
Matt

·
Corner Hugger
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
SWEET AS BOYS!!!!!!! Found it

http://forum.ffoc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17842&highlight=rattle

Wrap some duct tape / PVC tape around the little locking pin joined to the bottom of the boot... then that makes it a tighter fit for the lock. Will drive tomorrow and see if it has fixed it.

I have also found out that wrapping the same tape around the pins for the rear seats may also tighten up some of the rattles that may occur. I aim to have my little tank as quiet as a mouse. I need to hear that camshaft screaming...

Matt

·
Corner Hugger
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if that's the source of the rattle in your Mondeo then I imagine it should work on it too, any car in fact. Simply tightening the lock so it can't move around = can't rattle.

·
Corner Hugger
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well I finally got off my lazy butt and taped it around with black electrical tape about 3 times, looks like it was there from stock now. Seems to have done the trick but more long term driving will prove the point either way. Stay tuned.

UPDATED - so far so good a few days and a few hundred kays later, all seems fixed!!! Have noticed a new rattle so have decided to tape up the seat back locks in the rear seat too... simple fix for annoying problem = 12 month old rattle FREE car!!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts